2001 Sport Trac ... Engine "Problem" & Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac ... Engine "Problem" & Replacement

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
My Sport Trac has suffered a major blow. I just got the call today from a mechanic in Chicago that the engine had a cam chain failure on bank 2 and is in need of replacement. It has 157,000 miles and I bought it 2 years ago with 131,000 miles.

The mechanic told me replacing the engine would be $2600-3000 with a 6-month/6000 mile warranty, fully installed. I believe it's worth $5500-6500 with a running engine and much less without. I believe it's worth repairing since the rest of the vehicle is generally sound.

Does this price seem reasonable? Does anyone in the Chicago or southern Wisconsin area have a recommended shop to deal with this sort of issue? I would also consider selling it if there's anyone in the area looking for a project.

Is it worth getting a remanufactured engine instead of an unknown 'used' engine the shop finds?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20+ hr job. All in, probably ball park. An engine from a wrecker will run you around 1200. Newer the better, and any 4.0 SOHC from a sport trac to a land rover will work. Make sure he pops the valve covers on whatever he replaces it with and checks the guides.

That's about right. If you don't get a reman, like said above make sure to go ahead and check/replace the rear chains and guides.

I have decided to get a remanufactured engine. It's expensive but I didn't want to be worried that a replacement used engine would already be on the decline.

I ordered it from Gearhead Engines / LKQ Corp. for just under $2400 plus core deposit.

Does anyone know what this part is? I'm trying to figure out what it is so I know how much it might cost to replace it. Also, does anyone know why it would have a hole in it? Is this common?

http://imgur.com/gallery/1Z430r9
1Z430r9.jpg

http://imgur.com/EQzhLcq
EQzhLcq.jpg

^ Where on or near the engine is that from? Looks like it got cooked...

I don't know, the mechanic just sent me a picture of it. I found out it's a crankcase vent oil separator assembly and it goes somewhere on the bottom of the engine, like Ford part number F77Z-6A785-AB.

Update: my truck is back on the road now and running well.

Engine replacement

If you keep this S/T plan on changing the tensioners at 75k

Back