• Register Today It's free!

2001 XLT Questions

musicman79

Reaction score
City, State
Bradford, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I recently acquired a 2001 XLT, so far it seems like a good truck, but i have some questions.

I have the tube style running boards and they are starting to rust like I have noticed every explorer with those style running boards does. I was wondering if anyone could recommend redoing them with a bedliner type product, as it seems the wisest choice for durability. Any recommendations or experiences appreciated.

Also what is up with the windshields the thing is like a bug magnet I have had so many bugs I had to scrape them off. Any products out that will let the bug guts just simply wash off with the wipers? I don't like how rainex beads the water and smears but does it work good for the bug removal.

One more thing while I am at it (sorry for the long post)

I am a few thousand away from a 100k on this beast and was wondering what maintenance issues I should plan on doing and if the their is anything I should look out for?

Thanks

For the 100K on the clock:

-You'll get a lot of post about this. It's good to check/change the following: air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, tune up (wires and plugs), trans service/flush (new fluid and filter), differential service(s), transfer case service, induction cleaning, fuel treatment (to clean injectors), brake fluid flush, power steering flush, coolant flush.

The main things you want to do is change the fluids and filters. :thumbsup:

Running Boards: The bed liner stuff would work well and will probably last long :thumbsup:

Bugs: yeah, I get a lot of bugs on my windshield as well. It's horrible at night. Anyhow, you can also get a "bug guard" - but they can damage your paint and look ugly -- I remember seeing some stuff at like AutoZone called like "bug zapper" or something that is recommended for "zapping those guts away".

Good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Drew

I think the bedliner material is a really good idea too. My boards were rusty when I bought my car. I scraped them as best as possible and repainted them with "rust tough" primer and paint. It lasted all of 3 months, so I ended up buying a new pair off ebay. Make sure to prep extremely well. The rust on mine is starting to come through where the step pad is on top, so try to get rid of everything up there. Good luck.

Back