• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4.0 ABS Light

Luke G.

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0
On my 2002 Explorer, when I first go to start it up after sitting for about a day, the ABS works without the warning light. It will actually kick in and move the pedal an do its thing. But after I drive it for about 2-3 min, the light comes on and it stops working. What could be the issue? Thanks:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok thanks for the reply! Will do today

My ABS light was on and the cruise control stopped working. Ended up being the sensor on top of the master cylinder. I don't know if it could interfere with your problem.

The red looking sensor on top? Hmmm... i'll have to look into that

I had the sensor on top of the rear differential go bad. I believe the 2002 and 2003 do not have a sensor on the real wheels, but rather on top of the differential.

My sensor also went out on the top of the rear differential. I don't remember the code numbers(it had two codes) but it showed both left and right rear speed sensors were out.

This is off topic but do those of you with a 2002-2003 have a pretty rough idle? I narrowed it to 02-03 because I have been under the hood of a 2001 and 2004 at the junkyard and there are some changes.

Mine specifically doesn't have a rough idle but I have heard they have had that problem.

Back