• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4.6L engine swap

dlsfuel4soul

Reaction score
City, State
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer
Hey guys need a little help here. I have a 02 Explorer with a 4.6L that stacked a rod bearing. We decided to do an engine swap. The motor that we got came from either 02 or 03 Expedition 4.6L. According to the junkyard the basic long block will interchange by only swapping over the intake manifolds and front timing covers from what I can see. The questions I have does it matter that the block in the exploer is aluminum and the block from the expedition is cast iron? The other thing was, the expedition motor has 1 knock sensor with 2 wires coming from it versus the explorer engine has 2 sensors with 4 wires. Is there anyway of splicing the pigtail from the two knock sensor pigtail into the 1 knock sensor/ splicing the 4 wires into the 2 wires? Or will that short out the ecm? Maybe just not splicing all together and mounting 1 knock sensor and leaving the other floating I guess you can say? Your guys thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Hi,

Actually I have the same situation right now and originally I have 2 knock sensors just like yours from my aluminum block and now I have an engine cast iron block that has only one knock sensor mounting.

So...I'm wondring what did you do on yours, did you make the 2 sensors into 1?

Thank you in advance for any imformations.

Did you guys ever figure this out? I got a rod bearing that has chewed up my crankshaft and I am shopping for a 4.6L SOHC as well. I have been looking at the cast iron engines from the 01-04 Mustang GTs. Anyone know if there are any issues with knock sensors on that engine? I would likely change the timing cover over.

Back