2002 Explorer 4x4 Ground wire issue and no 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4x4 Ground wire issue and no 4wd

jalexander41

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello all, I just purchased a 02 Explorer 4x4. It runs and goes like a dream but when I got there the front wheels were not engaging. I made a deal and brought it home. I did some reading up. It has some typical symptoms. 4x4 high light flashes on and off here and there. Owner said it did that for the last two years. Transfer case shifts into 4 low but still the front wheels don't engage. I did some trouble shooting. I found the somewhat common corroded and broken ground wire and thought I had it solved. Here is where it gets weird. When I ground it the transfer case does nothing. Won't shift info four low and the dash and switch lights flicker and the switch is dim. Like it's not getting a good ground. However when I unhook the ground it will shift into 4 low again but 4 high is inop, the light flashes, and the front wheels don't engage. It's the short black colored wire. It was corroded right off. Is this supposed to go somewhere special? I sure can't seem to locate it. Any other ideas? I don't want to replace the control module or the sensors until I get the obvious fixed. Thanks in advance. This site has already been a big help.

So no one can help me out I guess.

I kinda sounds like you have two problems with the 4WD system on your 2002. The control modules failing and shift motor ground wire corroding are both fairly common in 2002. If you fixed the ground then next step is replace the CM. Good luck - let us know how it goes.

Back