2004 4x4 Front binding issue and noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 4x4 Front binding issue and noise

Deerslayer21213

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
My first post and would like to say that this forum is great and has a lot of useful information. I am hoping someone can provide me with some insight on how to proceed with the issue I am having. I have a 2004 XLT 4.6L V8 with 130K that I purchased recently from a police auction. I use my Explorer simply to tow my boat with and for camping with the kids. Other than the issue I am currently experiencing, the vehicle runs great. I previously experienced the transmission solenoid issue that I was able to fix (thanks to the posts on this site).
The problem I am having is no matter whether I am in the yard connecting or disconnecting from the boat, or in a parking lot maneuvering into or out of a parking spot, I notice that the vehicle will torque up or seem to twist as if the front end is in a bind and will have a clunking noise at times. It will do this in either 4x4 Auto or in 4x4 HI (If I try to engage it in the yard). In Auto 4x4, it will cause the rear wheels to start to spin while in the yard and I can feel and hear a clunking noise when it engages the 4X4 and then it will take off. It’s hard to explain, but feels like you are running over something with the front tires (like a small curb or something) when I take off. It will also cause the vehicle to raise up in the rear a little when the throttle is first applied.
I have read posts about removing the fuses 17 & 18 and that will fix the problem while in town, it still feels like its binding slightly but performs a lot better. However, this leaves me without the option to use 4x4 in the yard when connecting to my boat. I cannot maneuver around the yard if the grass is damp without 4x4 and this could be due to the slight binding feel that is still present.
I was hoping if anyone had suggestions on what may be causing the issue. I thought about replacing the wheel hubs or axles (however, the boots are not torn nor show any wear). I actually took it to a repair shop and they removed the cover on my front Differential and stated it was good and was told the CV axles were fine by moving the wheels while up in the air. I also thought it might be in the transfer case, but I do not know how to verify whether it is or not. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing is to verify all four tires are an exact match, brand, size, inflation, & treadwear.

I installed new tires on it when I purchased it, Kenda brand P235/70R/16. They have 3000 miles on them now and verified 35 psi all four.

My 2005 XLT 4.0 V6 4x4 will engage the 4x4 any time there is any time the rear wheels spin and are not getting traction on their own. I can hear the 4x4 engage when in 4x4 Auto mode. I don't hear it when I put it in 4x4 High. I always thought this was normal operation of that 4x4 system. Sometimes if I'm backing out of my driveway, and if it's snowy or icy, or if it's wet and I give it too much gas causing tires to spin a bit, the 4x4 engages (I hear it) and as a result I go in the direction I'm going quickly.

Back