2002 Explorer alarm issue /door ajar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer alarm issue /door ajar

grndprx18

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4x4
I just bought a 2002 Explorer XLT with around 83k miles on it. Recently I have heard the door ajar sound and light flash when I lock or unlock the doors and sometimes randomly when driving. It flashes so quickly on the dash you won’t see it unless you happen to be looking at it when it goes off. The beep noise is longer than that light stays lit. I have noticed on the passenger front door when it’s opened sometimes the interior lights go crazy on and off rapidly like it can’t make up its mind if the door is shut. Naturally it doesn’t do it every time or even enough for me to be convinced that the door is the issue. Other thing I noticed is that the rubber door stop on that door is missing. Would that cause the door to not shut right even though it looks closed (no wind noise or anything)? Also the car alarm is going off randomly at night if I lock the doors and quiet if I leave them unlocked. Local mechanic didn’t even want to look at it and said he thought it was a BCM module? Only other door having an issue is that the rear glass wont pop up. It will only pop up if you are in the back hatch pushing it open while hitting the key fob to open it. Not sure if there is a sensor there or not. I was just wondering if this sounds like the typical door ajar issue I have read about or a more serious BCM issue. Is there a way to disable the alarm? I would be happy with that as a fix as well.

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar issue with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, etc.

A lot of issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the door. I found a broken wire and repaired it and all is back to normal!

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

It appears that the links my1zamboni posted aren't working so here they are:

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel and checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Thank you BigRondo for the backup.
Don't know what is wrong with the links.

Thank you BigRondo for the backup.
Don't know what is wrong with the links.

You can't copy links from other posts. You have to go to that page and copy the address from you browser.

That is what I did, but did it from work and may have something to do with their filters.
I am suprised I can get on this forum at work. Thanks again for putting up working links.

That is what I did, but did it from work and may have something to do with their filters.
I am suprised I can get on this forum at work. Thanks again for putting up working links.

No problem. :biggthump

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I am going to take it apart tonight and see what I can find.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I am going to take it apart tonight and see what I can find.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry about the delay in getting back but I finally was able to take a look at it. I replaced the door ajar sensor on the passenger front and checked both doors for the wire cut issue. The wires looked fine and so far 5 day in a row with no door ajar issues or random alarms:) Thanks for the help everyone!

Good deal. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
Posted via Mobile Device

I had this same problem on the way home from the dealer last week. Thought for sure I needed a new sensor.

Then I found out my rear window had been accidently unlatched. Everytime I hit a bump I'd get the door ajar lit briefly. So brief I couldn't see what it was. It was right after i bought it so I had no idea what the light was. Finally stopped and shut the truck off so I could start it again and see what the light was. Checked all the doors until I found the rear hatch door unlatched.

No problem since.

Sometimes it's the simplest thing.......

Sometimes it's the simplest thing.......

Real nice when it's simple isn't it? I often think that if it wasn't for the simple ones, I might not have the gumption to go after the difficult ones!

I have a 2002 Explorer and recently the door ajar light is staying on. When I slam the driver's door it goes off. Two different times the alarm goes off for no reason and the first time I clicked it off and the next time it went off by itself before I found my keys. Then one day driving down the highway the door ajar light came on and then went off and after that it dinged once but did it several times over the course of 15 minutes. I have been reading on her and is it safe and where to you spray in the WD40? Also, if that doesn't work do you think it's a bad sensor or the door jam switch?

2002 Ford Explorer

"DONT READ ANY FURTHER... IT'S A DOOR AJAR SENSOR"

While your car is on... bang on each door one by one. When you bang the door with the bad sensor... the door ajar light and dome light will flicker. It's most likely the rear hatch!!!!! The rear hatch has 2 sensors... 1 for the hatch and 1 for the rear hatch window. EASY FIX: remove rear interior panel. Locate sensors and unplug them. Buy those staples you put into a staple gun that are curved and for stapling television cable to a wall. Insert the staple into the plug holes on the connector. That will close the circuit and result in the door ajar sensor always being off even though you open the rear hatch. Who needs a door ajar sensor anyways. Just make sure you close your door properly. Even though you replace the sensor with a new one... the latch gets bent over time and the sensors will never work the same. You can thank me when you fix yours!!! WHOOOOPIIII!!!!!

My 03 XLT is having the problem and I don't see any broken wires in the drivers door. I had to repair one over a year ago but there aren't any new broken wires. I also tried having my wife sit in the car while it was running and shaking and banging the doors. Nothing seems to trip it.

We get the light that blinks while driving down the road, as well as random alarms during the night. We have resorted to locking the truck with the keyfob, unlocking it once to unlock the drivers door, then manually locking the drivers door with the lock latch near the handle. This seems to disarm PATS and prevent the alarm from going off. Recently the light on the dashboard stopped blinking while driving, but I still get the random alarms.

Is there a way to find out which sensor may be causing the issues? Ford wants over $110 + tax to tell me which door it is.....

My 03 XLT is having the problem and I don't see any broken wires in the drivers door. I had to repair one over a year ago but there aren't any new broken wires. I also tried having my wife sit in the car while it was running and shaking and banging the doors. Nothing seems to trip it.

We get the light that blinks while driving down the road, as well as random alarms during the night. We have resorted to locking the truck with the keyfob, unlocking it once to unlock the drivers door, then manually locking the drivers door with the lock latch near the handle. This seems to disarm PATS and prevent the alarm from going off. Recently the light on the dashboard stopped blinking while driving, but I still get the random alarms.

Is there a way to find out which sensor may be causing the issues? Ford wants over $110 + tax to tell me which door it is.....

That will definitely be the door ajar switch. Sometimes you can roll the windows down an lock the doors and go around to all the doors one by one and open the doors from the inside to see if it seta the alarm off but wont always work as mine would be right sometimes and then be off sometimes.....i bought my door ajar switch from oreillys and was not that expensive. It can be called the door ajar switch or the door jamb switch. One is metal and one is plastic. May not be a bad idea to replace driver and passenger side. They are nor too expensive ar oreillys. Hope this helps.

That will definitely be the door ajar switch. Sometimes you can roll the windows down an lock the doors and go around to all the doors one by one and open the doors from the inside to see if it seta the alarm off but wont always work as mine would be right sometimes and then be off sometimes.....i bought my door ajar switch from oreillys and was not that expensive. It can be called the door ajar switch or the door jamb switch. One is metal and one is plastic. May not be a bad idea to replace driver and passenger side. They are nor too expensive ar oreillys. Hope this helps.

Cool thanks. It would make sense that its either the driver or passenger door since they get used the most. Should I replace the metal, plastic, or both sensors on both doors?

Cool thanks. It would make sense that its either the driver or passenger door since they get used the most. Should I replace the metal, plastic, or both sensors on both doors?

The two different titles....DOOR AJAR SWITCH.....and....DOOR JAMB SWITCH...... are the same sensor. I bought both and come to find out they are the same sensor.....but i kept the door ajar switch which was MOTORCRAFT brand. I prefer to keep oem on stuff like that but they do offer different brands. Its a pretty easy fix theres a thread on this site that shows pics of step by step instructions. I can find the link and post it for ya if u want. Mine was the driver door. Switched it out and no more door ajar lights and dinging and no more random alarms. U can get both sides pretty cheap not that bad and well well worth it. Im sure this will fix problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wonderes if you got your issue fixed??

Back