• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer black pillar trim

dndsam

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
Does anyone know where I can buy replacement pillar trim for the doors and on the rear corners of the vehicle between the windows? I have done some serious seaching and am only finding CHROME crap.

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. I have thought of just repainting, but figured I might try and replace instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the link. Can you explain which ones I need. I have a key pad on the driver side of the car. They make mention to with and without a key pad and right and left. Is the with keypad right and left the drivers side of the car and the without keypad the passenger side. Can you clarify assuming you have ordered these before.

Thanks for your help, this hunt is/was driving me crazy!

Left is the driver's side for American cars. Right is the passenger side for American car.
I assume your is American (left hand drive). The w/o (without keypad) is the trim without the keypad. Remember Explorers are also sold as right hand drive for countries such as Australia and their setup would be opposite ours. So....assuming yours is left hand drive and you have the keypad you would get the left with keypad and the right would be w/o keypad.

right(passenger side)- w/o keypad

left(drivers side)- w/ keypad

I painted all my crapy faded trim pieces and they look great. Krylon glodd black for plastic and a clear laquer. $12 and 60 minutes later.....done

Thanks for the links and clairification. How they have the description worded was confusing. My Explorer will look new again once those flaking clearcoat trim pieces are changed out.

Thanks Merc02 for the link for Tasca. They were wonderful to work with and I have added them as a favorite for future purchases. Pillars look great, my car is almost new again...without the payment!

good site, but It starts to add up to replace all of those parts. I rather just get mine repainted.

eriechief did you sand them down prior to painting or just spray them. Where did you get the paint you used.

STU

Thanks Merc02 for the link for Tasca. They were wonderful to work with and I have added them as a favorite for future purchases. Pillars look great, my car is almost new again...without the payment!

Any Pics? Possibly before and after. Did you replace the ones on the rear of the vehicle on either side of the hatch?

Stu, yes I did sand them. I used a very fine wet sand paper, 800 grit, I think. It really made the difference. They came out nice and smooth. I went to my local "Auto Zone" and found the Krylon paint and clear laquer. I taped everything off and sprayed the paint on in two coats, then the laquer after about 1 hour. It is not as shiny as the paint on the x but it looks a thousand times better than the faded crap I started out with

Any Pics? Possibly before and after. Did you replace the ones on the rear of the vehicle on either side of the hatch?

I am in process of replacing them all. I have done the doors and planned on the rear hatch, but they sent me the wrong ones. I am waiting for the rear hatch's to arrive. Piece of cake to replace. 4 screws on the doors behind the rubber molding the window slides in. The rear hatch is riveted on, drill out then re-pop new rivets. If someone can explain how to post pictures, I will share.

Yes mine has the keypad on the left. I have already purchased the ford replacement parts but donot know the procedure.

Thanks I'll go check it out. Assume I'll put the window down and will find screws in the window track.

Yes mine has the keypad on the left. I have already purchased the ford replacement parts but donot know the procedure.

Here we go!

This is the front passenger door. I know the driver door is the same except if you have the keypad, then you have to deal with that. The rear doors should be the same. I haven't removed the pillars, so I can't tell you what to do after the screws are removed. I investigated the screws, but ran out of time due to the winter so I never got the door pillars done. Enough chit-chat!

Make sure the window is in the fully down position. Start at the bottom, indicated by the yellow arrow and pull the weatherstripping in the direction of the red arrows. Work your way to the top of the door. It comes out & goes in pretty easy:

DoorPillarTrimWeatherstrippingCustom.jpg

There are four screws holding the pillar in, indicated by the red arrows. You can't see the bottom one in the picture, but it's there! Be very careful taking the screws out, you don't want to drop them in the door. Maybe use a magnetic screwdriver:

DoorPillarTrimScrewAccessCustom.jpg

The rear pillars are riveted and are easy to mask off. Check out my write-up on the rear pillar trim: How To: Paint Rear Pillar Trim

Good luck with the trim! :biggthump

Back