2002 Explorer - chirping noise when AC is on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer - chirping noise when AC is on...

96s281

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my 2002 Eddie Bauer chirps only when the AC is on. It chirps the second I put it on, and then about every 30 seconds thereafter.

It sounds as if it's coming from the transmission area, not from the belts. Any idea what this could be? Something do do with the clutch perhaps?

I'm not sure of all the components used when the AC is running, so it's hard for me to diagnose the problem on my own. I also did a search and didn't find much.

Thanks in advance!!!
Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

must be the compressor clutch or your serpentine belt.

With the hood up and you watching have someone put the ac on. Try it with MAX to and see if it chirps more. The ac clutch engages and disengages needed. Maybe its cycling every 30 seconds or so and slipping. YOu can see when the clutch engages, because it will spin.

Your belt is getting glazed. I'd replace it with a new Goodyear Gatorback belt. It's the only one I've used that really works well. Other brands tend to squeak and squawk once in a while, but the Gatorback has never given me a problem. You can get them at AutoZone.

Thaks a lot guys, that definitely gives me an idea of what to look out for. I appreciate the responses!!

If its just a short chirp and not a continous chirp or squeal when the ac is on then its completely normal. Infact many ford vehicles with the ac on do it if you listen closely. My 02 Explorer does it...

If its just a short chirp and not a continous chirp or squeal when the ac is on then its completely normal. Infact many ford vehicles with the ac on do it if you listen closely. My 02 Explorer does it...

My 02 makes no noise when ac is on. No other ford I have own ever did it either. I never heard of that.

Remember when putting on a new belt take a wire brush and clean out the grooved pulleys (metal ones only). Get all that old rubber debris out. It will help your new belt sit without floating on junk. A slipping belt will also glaze your clutch pulley, since its the smooth side that turns it. You can take some very fine grit sandpaper and take that slippery shine off that pulley. All of this will allow your belt last as long as possible.

Remember when putting on a new belt take a wire brush and clean out the grooved pulleys (metal ones only). Get all that old rubber debris out. It will help your new belt sit without floating on junk. A slipping belt will also glaze your clutch pulley, since its the smooth side that turns it. You can take some very fine grit sandpaper and take that slippery shine off that pulley. All of this will allow your belt last as long as possible.

Good tip. Never really thought about that but it makes a lot of sense.

I have the same issue, in fact I posted about it earlier. Someone suggested replacing the belt which I'm going to do anyway. But in my case it's not the belt but the small electric clutch on the AC pump.
Have someone turn AC on/off while you watch it. There is a couple millimeters gap on the top of the disc when it's off. As you turn it on it "pulls" in. As the two parts get up to speed there is some friction which causes the noise.
It's not a real problem (very normal) but can be really annoying.
I'm thinking of spraying some WD40 on this gap and see if that helps but not sure I should do it.

I have the same issue, in fact I posted about it earlier. Someone suggested replacing the belt which I'm going to do anyway. But in my case it's not the belt but the small electric clutch on the AC pump.
Have someone turn AC on/off while you watch it. There is a couple millimeters gap on the top of the disc when it's off. As you turn it on it "pulls" in. As the two parts get up to speed there is some friction which causes the noise.
It's not a real problem (very normal) but can be really annoying.
I'm thinking of spraying some WD40 on this gap and see if that helps but not sure I should do it.

OK, quick update -- I took my car in for inspection and had the belt replaced anyway while they were in there. The bad news is that the chirp is still present. I'm gonna have to try the visual when someone turns the AC on. Thanks again for the suggestions.

OK, quick update -- I took my car in for inspection and had the belt replaced anyway while they were in there. The bad news is that the chirp is still present. I'm gonna have to try the visual when someone turns the AC on. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I'm glad you posted that update, I think my car does the same thing... has been doing it since the car was brand new, I took it to the dealership and they told me they didn't hear it. SO.. since nothing was breaking down or anything, I figured I'll just live with it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1256538#post1256538

I'm not sure if it's the same or not, but you have the closest description to what I'm experiencing that I've read here. Sorry I couldn't be helpful.

When my explorer was new I took it back because I was wondering the same thing about why it was chirping...When I got back to the dealer and the dealer had a print out directly from Ford saying its how the system works and infact I hear it all the time on Fords...Listen, and ill bet you'll hear it.

BTW, im not talking about a constant chirp...im not sure about the time apart from when it does it but its not a constant chirping noise like a belt would be...

Can someone tell whether it's safe to put oil on that clutch? Not the belt, just the small gap at the end.

There is a Ford TSB reguarding this A/C Noise. It requires the driven clutch plate be replaced. Just replaced on on my Mountainner.

There is a Ford TSB reguarding this A/C Noise. It requires the driven clutch plate be replaced. Just replaced on on my Mountainner.

If it doesn't get replaced right away is it doing any damage to the clutch or the AC system?

I would like to get it replaced, but since I have no warranty right now I don't feel like dishing out the cash if no damage is being done.

I had the same exact problem on my 2002 at the end of last year, sounded like a damn bird was under the hood. In my case it was the clutch pulley itself, not the clutch plate and not the belt. I had to get the pulley from the dealer at $77. I tried buying the entire clutch from 3 different auto stores and all three times got something that did not look like the one on the explorer.

my 03 chirps too -- figured it was the clutch and sorta just got used to it --if i was gonna spray anything on it i would use white grease instead of wd - 40

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back