2002 explorer help w/ 4x4 please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer help w/ 4x4 please

pony

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
we can't get our explorer out of 4x4 low. Is there some kind of re-set button or something.

God Bless,

Pony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search, there are multiple threads detailing this problem. It's the 4x4 shift motor that's malfunctioning. some have rebult those motors, some just replace them. One suggestion is to try backing up for about 100 feet then trying to shift out of 4wd.

Try disconnecting the battery for a minute then restart the vehicle. Maybe your shift motor is not turning. There are a ton of stuff on this and related problems. Right now my # 12 fuse is pulled after my freaken truck kept getting stuck in 4x4. I reset the computer then pulled the fuse to keep it from shifting again. I will be taking it dealer shortly.

The 4x4 module on the 02's are notorious for failing. I've had mine replaced once.

Does this apply to later years of the 3rd gen?

Try puttin it in Nuetral and try to turn it off.

Put it in neutral with your foot on the brake. If that doesn't work, its probably the 4WD GEM.

by the way this only started happening after our battery died. My wife left the lights on and the battery was drained. After we jumped started it, it was all of a sudden in 4x4 low without us even putting it into it. Now it is stuck and the dealership wants $800. just to look at it. This could end up costing us thousands. Someone mentioned reseting the computer how in the hell do you do this?

God Bless

Why does this and other threads have me beginning to regret buying a Ford again? I never heard about these types of issues with my 4Runner.

unplug the battery for about 30 minutes and that should reset the computer.
mine got stuck in 4x4 low (did it on its own) and i tried everything. had to have it towed to the dealer........it was the 4x4 module.

Back