2002 explorer O/D light flashing (fixed it) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer O/D light flashing (fixed it)

02explode

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer 4.0 4x4
I recently had an issue with a 2002 explorer 4.0 auto. It has a 5r55w tranny. The problem was, the O/D light started flashing and then the trans. wouldn't shift into any gear after another day of use. The trans. was also making a very loud whining noise when I started the engine. Here's what I did:

I purchased an Elmscan 5 from ScanTool.net. This is only like $39 bucks and it comes with software for your computer and an OBD interface that plugs into your truck's OBD port under the dash. This unit works great for reading check engine light codes, and other major engine related issues. It won't check the PCM codes or the drivetrain codes though.

Then I purchased the ScanXL software from ScanTool.net with the advanced Ford enhanced diagnostics add-on. This software will let you read all the other related codes in your computer including the transmission codes. The codes I got were
"PO796 Trans. pressure control solenoid performance stuck off" and
a couple others that had to do with the trans. output gear ratios...

I then purchased a new solenoid pack from Ebay and followed the instructions on a sticky from this website. Got it installed and it drives and shifts great now!! I hope this will help some of you guys out that are having trans. issues!

I recommend the ScanTool software. I works great and you don't have to get towed to the dealer!:chug:

Back