2002 Explorer - Replace Thermostat Housing and Hoses | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer - Replace Thermostat Housing and Hoses

BiggestWrenchMonkey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey all,

I have been tasked with trying to repair the coolant leaks coming from the vehicle. From the pictures you can see that I need to replace both the thermostat as well as the housing that it is in. I was recommended the Four Seasons thermostat housing from the mechanic and wanted to know if this is one that would also be recommended on here. I am having trouble figuring out the name of the hoses that I would need to replace. The smaller one seems to be around 7 inches in length and the one feeding directly to the housing seems to be around 20 inches, give or take. I was also wondering if the lower part (which I circled) that is connected to both these lower hoses needed to be replaced as the leaks are around where they meet but seem to come from the hoses themselves. I would appreciate any info and/or links that you could provide me. Thank you in advance.
http://imgur.com/a/FilJC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which engine?

I just used the Dorman brand thermostat housing. I went with after market hoses (Gates, top of the line) and wouldn't do that again on the V6. Get your hoses from the dealer, as long as they aren't cut-to-fit.

The hoses on the tstat were a lil tricky.

I just used the Dorman brand thermostat housing. I went with after market hoses (Gates, top of the line) and wouldn't do that again on the V6. Get your hoses from the dealer, as long as they aren't cut-to-fit.

The hoses on the tstat were a lil tricky.

Thanks, I'll look into getting that tstat housing. From the recommended repairs paperwork I am seeing that the autoshop was planning on using a Dayco brand hose so I will have to get in contact with an actual dealership to see if they have the hoses I need. Thanks again.

Back