2002 Explorer Sport Trac

Valas1969

learning to be expert
Reaction score
City, State
McDonald, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer xlt 02 ST
I just bought a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 with a blown transmission. Now the question is, I also have a 1999 Explorer XLT Automatic AWD, will the AWD transfer case work in the Sport Trac? i have already figured out the transmission will fit (5R55E) and i like the AWD in my XLT. Do i need to change the transfer case module also or are they the same?:yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 1999 5R55E transmission is different than the 2002, in 2001 they added an extra sensor on the transmission I think maybe was the iss sensor, but there is a difference between them. Also your better off to use your existing trucks transfer case, only reason others have used the awd tc is if they did a 5.0 swap with the 4r70w with awd case.

The 1999 5R55E transmission is different than the 2002, in 2001 they added an extra sensor on the transmission I think maybe was the iss sensor, but there is a difference between them. Also your better off to use your existing trucks transfer case, only reason others have used the awd tc is if they did a 5.0 swap with the 4r70w with awd case.

so your saying my transmission wont work? mine is not the original trans, its out of 2000 or 2001 explorer and works great in 99.

I used a 2002 Explorer transmission in my 1999 Ranger 4X4. No problems.

It may fit but the driveshafts will need to be modified, the ST has a longer wheelbase iirc. Also the computer isn't set up for the AWD tc so the wiring, switches, etc. will be different. Stick with the ST's tc or go with a manual case.

Yea you can use a newer 5R55E in your 99 Explorer, but not the 99 5R55E in the 2002 Sport Trac. There was changes in 2001 to the 5R555E.

Yea you can use a newer 5R55E in your 99 Explorer, but not the 99 5R55E in the 2002 Sport Trac. There was changes in 2001 to the 5R555E.

like i said i cant remember for sure but it might be a 2000 or 2001 explorer trans. how can i tell what year my trans is? and i ran the VIN on both and they are both 5R55E not 5R555E

Sorry that was a typo on my part 5R555E, its just the 5R55E. In mid 2001 Ford added a new sensor on the 5R55E transmission the ISS sensor or Intermediate Shaft Speed sensor, so your 2002 Sport Trac would have that extra sensor needed on the transmission to work with your PCM.

How do i tell what year trans i have in my 99? It has been swapped at 194,000 miles for newer one but cant remember what year it was out of.

well i'm buying a used transmission out of another 2002 sport trac for $300 (that sucks!!!)
On another note it just took me 8 hours to drop the bad one out in my carport (that really sucked!!!!!) someone needs to go to ford and slap the **** out of the ford enginer who decided to put the starter right over the front rear-end and leave no possible way to get to the bolts or pull the damn thing out. i dont have a lift i have limited tools and ran very short on patience very fast. I still have to get the torque converter out but that will wait till the morning. Can't wait till i get the other one and try to put it in. NOT!!!

I really hope this truck is worth all the aggravation its causing me. Got over seven years and 100.00 miles out of currant 99 explorer and still going (well) ok i guess.

I think that is a forward or reverse drum, and yes it's a chore having to pull the motor or transmission out.

I don't exchange transmissions very much so I don't have much info on what will work and what wont in different vehicles. I believe as the others that you could use the late tranny in your 99, just leave the sensor in the middle unplugged because your 99 isn't looking for it anyways.

I would stick with the original transfer case for best results.

OK i got the tranny out but dont know how to get starter out. got it unbolted, barely, but couldnt get it out. In fact the wires are still connected because i couldnt figure out how to disconnected. to much stuff in the way. argh :mad:

I don't exchange transmissions very much so I don't have much info on what will work and what wont in different vehicles. I believe as the others that you could use the late tranny in your 99, just leave the sensor in the middle unplugged because your 99 isn't looking for it anyways.

I would stick with the original transfer case for best results.

think you read it backwards was wanting to put 99 in 02. doesnt matter anyway i realized 99 wouldnt work so buying another 02. thanks though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well my trans purchase fell thru. scrap yard said when they pulled it off oil came out black and would not sell it to me. at least they were honest (i hope). so now i need a late 01 and up 5R55E trans that will fit in my 02 sport trac. if anyone around Pittsburgh, PA knows where i can get one on the cheap i could really use some help.

Back