2002 explorer starting a tranny rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer starting a tranny rebuild

rooneystang

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have been looking at the forum for a while now and have decided to join.

My brother in law has a 2002 explorer with a 4.0l in it. I scanned it the other day and we came up with a code for the dtr sensor. The OD light was flashing driving down the road and it seem to rev to about 4000 rpm in first before it shifted. I looked it up on mitchell and everything seemed to point toward the DTR. We went to change the DTR the other day and could not get the nut off of the shifter linkage, and in doing so something must have turned inside the transmission, because he ended up with no reverse or park. We decided instead of making it worse we would take it to the local ford dealer and get them to replace the DTR and set it up the way it should be. We took it to ford, because it was sunday afternoon and i had no idea how to get the oil back into the pan once i got it empty. The ford dealer had pulled the pan off and they said that there were broken pieces in the oil pan, i can understand this.

I am wondering what the shift lever attaches to that would break in there? How big of a job is it to rebuild one of these trannys and what to look for? and where is the best spot to buy a kit or parts and pieces for these things?

I think we will defiantly rebuild the tranny ourselves and am just looking for some direction after we have it on the floor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It attaches to the manual valve in the valve body. You probably broke the shift de dent plate, inside the pan. Some special tools are needed for a rebuild. You need to get a manual, so that you know what you are looking at. I would first just replace the broken parts and the DTR sensor and see if it works ok.

Yeah, probably broke the pin off of the ****scomb.

Back