• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Starting issues

Randyzki

Reaction score
City, State
Waddell, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
My Sons 2002 Explorer would not start. I had it towed to my house. When the ignition key is turned I get one loud click and nothing. I replaced the Starter, and charged the battery and got the same result one click when the ignition key is turned. I checked the ignition wire going to the solenoid and I have 12 vdc when the key is engaged. It seems like no power is going to the starter after the key and solenoid are engaged. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a bad power or ground cable to the starter. Corrosion can often hide in the cable and not be seen at the ends.
Or
The PATS (passive anti theft system) could be having issues. Keeping the key from being recognized.

The thing I learned years ago, from a Ford dealer, was that if a Ford just goes 'click' when you turn the key, then you have corrosion between the battery cable and battery. Remove the cables, clean, reassemble. It has proven true time and time again.

And while replacing the oil filter housing gasket recently, I noticed a problem I see that it is common as "xlt03" states in the above comment. I fixed mine before it cut through and caused any problems. What I did was take a plumbing fitting and cut it in half, then put a large pool of silicone sealant in it, and after cleaning the area, then I carefully placed the fitting under the wire so the harness would sit in the sealant and fitting and on top of the bracket causing the problem

You're right. OP didn't mentioned but I figured it was a starting point. Also noticed he hasn't checked back.

As Fordysenior said with FORDS check them wires and connections and make sure they're clean.

He may have posted in multiple forums. Hopefully he comes back with what the fix was.

2002 Explorer Running Again!!!

I wanted to post what the final problem was with the no start condition. Now remember I replaced the starter, and after a lot of troubleshooting I had the battery tested and replaced it. Still I was getting the click and no start. I went back to square one, and my mechanic neighbor took another look and the positive battery cable looked swollen and a little burnt by the battery connection. When turned over by the battery connection it was cracked and corroded. We bent the cable at this point and it broke and there was like six strand or the wire still attached. We were able to replace the positive battery terminal and remove the positive cable from a connection point on the frame to allow extra length to the cable and connect it back to the battery. And it started right up. I wanted to thank everyone who posted a suggestion, and tried to help. Your original suggestions were correct check the battery cables, then check the battery cables, and then check them again. :):):):);

Thanks again,

Randyzki

I experienced a similar problem today with my 03 Explorer. When I turned the key to start I got a single "click" then nothing. A few additional key turns yielded the same result (nothing)with the added bonus of smoke coming from under the hood!!
The smoke was from a small flat insulated ground wire that runs from the engine block to the firewall on the passenger side. I'm thinking that I need to clean/ replace the larger ground cable from the battery to the block.

It's not the starter, removed it and it tested OK. Anyone else have a similar issue??

Back