2002 ford explorer front washer circuit fix? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer front washer circuit fix?

oldgranola

Reaction score
City, State
seattle
Got the dreaded front windshield washer pump not working. But pump is fine at the bench. Strange electrical diagnostic behavior: probing with a 'power probe' connected to the battery poles and probing the pump connector whilst pushing the washer button on the wiper stick changes one of the washer pump leads from open good ground to +12v (thats wierd to go from open battery ground to positive 12v). The other side of the connector is dead. No ground, no positive. Multi-meter voltage test between the two gives near zero volts even when the washer button is pushed. So...strange circuit and definitely one bad side (dedicated ground?). I just read in the following old thread that there's a kind of figure 8 (H bridge?) that changes the polarity to the pump motor depending on if one pushes the back or front washer button. But I can't find any documentation on what relays-where is this all controlled by.. My Ford explorer Haynes book is confusing.
old thread on washer electrical
yes I do have a destroyed tailgate electrical (dog ate the wiring, seriously!). If the two are linked, is there a best spot to at least put in a ground (temp) for the front washer pump? I'd prefer not to try to splice it in the small wheel well space. Wiring diagrams are great (not really) on paper but I can't find the correct relays and the wires going into, ford 2002 4.0L explorer has poor documentation it seems. Example, I don't find any 'washer' relay or similar in 2002 braker box diagrams
Thanks for helping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like there is supposed to be a front and rear washer pump relays. But I cannot find any refference to it. Anyone know where they are?

According to the following post, the relays are on the reverse side of the passenger compartment fuse panel, #4 "Open" for front washer and #6 rear washer on that fusecheck.com page you linked. Not owning an '02 I cannot confirm this, but if you have the #4 and #6 relays when the diagram reads open, it's pretty likely they were doing something.

According to the following post, the relays are on the reverse side of the passenger compartment fuse panel, #4 "Open" for front washer and #6 rear washer on that fusecheck.com page you linked. Not owning an '02 I cannot confirm this, but if you have the #4 and #6 relays when the diagram reads open, it's pretty likely they were doing something.

Thanks I'll look. That panel is a pain to get to, dang ford.

In the mean time, I used a tone generator/line tracer to probe what seems to be the faulty side of the connector at the washer pump (no continuity with ground or positive even with key on and washer button pushed). It lead me right back to the electrical connector for the lift gate that the dogs didn't destroy, one blade sang loudly. I'm thinking thats a part of the reversible polarity circuit that functions as ground when pushing the front washer button only. I wonder if I could just ground that? Thoughts?.

You should dig up wiring diagrams for your generation. I have some for 2nd gen linked in my sig but no idea if they stayed the same for 3rd gen.

You should dig up wiring diagrams for your generation. I have some for 2nd gen linked in my sig but no idea if they stayed the same for 3rd gen.
Yes working on that, love to have anyone actually show usable diagrams, deciding to spend some $$. So far the online diagrams and for my haynes aren't so accurate or helpful on the practical side. Seems there were two 2002's wiring wise, a 2001-2002 with a GEM module and 2002-2005 going more modern with very different layouts. I have yet to find anything that actually shows what I see. In the end I have to experiment. Plus I'll have to be sympathetic to the fact that probably no manual writer included what to do when your dogs eat/destroy all the liftgate wiring:>)

Not having the luck I hoped for, looked through what I have and I do have the Workshop Manual pages for an '05 Explorer Wiper and Washer Diagnosis and Testing, but as you mentioned, it may not account for dog destruction but here it is anyway.

Otherwise, if it's not the newer generation design that is "probably" in that PDF, then I'd look at the one linked in my sig.

Attachments

• Ford Explorer 2005 Wiper Washer Workshop Manual Diagnosis.pdf
    357.9 KB · Views: 91

Not having the luck I hoped for, looked through what I have and I do have the Workshop Manual pages for an '05 Explorer Wiper and Washer Diagnosis and Testing, but as you mentioned, it may not account for dog destruction but here it is anyway.

Otherwise, if it's not the newer generation design that is "probably" in that PDF, then I'd look at the one linked in my sig.
Wow, thats really helpful. Its quite similar but not exact, has great testing logic. Thank you J_C! This did help. So with this and testing I did come up with a work-around until I can come up with oem parts to rebuild the hatch wiring and trim to normal, then I'll be able to use your info to set it to rights.

Just in case anyone else has a destroyed hatch wiring I'll summarize. Your diagnosis "K" for the washer motor function is instructive. Testing the pump motor at the bench using a "Power Probe IV" to supply battery +12V to connector C137-1 and ground to -2, the pump works fine. using the Power Probe to look for voltage/polarity/ground at that connector, the connector c137-1 is good ground and -2 is dead/open. Pushing the washer button for the front gives +12V to C137-1 (it changes polarity from ground), -2 is dead. Actuating the button for the rear washer does nothing where it should supply power to C137-2.. Thus the C137-2 side is bad. Attaching a line-tone generator to C137-2 and probing the last surviving connector at the lift gate (not shown in "K" diagnostics but the logic is the same) I could identify an associated blade that is connected to C137-2. If I connect the the pump back up at C127-2 I could show that actuating the front washer button supplied +12V to that blade. So then all I had to do was to identify the constant ground using the Power Probe and your information. The real test and temporary fix is to jumper the C137-2 associated blade with the constant ground. Turn ignition on and actuate the front washer button turns the washer pump on! Yea. I didn't try the button for the rear fearing I might blow a fuse since its on constant ground, correct? I can live with the front only for now till ebay comes to the rescue on parts. Thanks so much J_C!

Back