2002 Mercury Mountaineer Tranny Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mercury Mountaineer Tranny Swap

Jlewis59

Reaction score
City, State
Greenwhich, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
So I bought this mountaineer for 250 knowing it had tranny problems and that I'd have to swap the tranny, but I have the other tranny out and I'm at the point of getting the new one in and it's been awful. The thing just doesn't wanna go in right. I got it in and had the tourney converter studs lined up in the holes on the flywheel and had two bolts in the bottoms and could get one in on the passenger side, but the top of the tranny would not come flush with the engine and no bolts could go in. I don't understand why or how it would be binding on anything or anything like that. Can anyone give any advice on what my next approach should be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things that can keep the transmission from being able to be flush to the engine are, converter not fully seated into transmission, incorrect converter, too many engine dowel pins, items stuck between the bell housing and block.

My guess would be the converter is not fully engaged into the transmission.

Things that can keep the transmission from being able to be flush to the engine are, converter not fully seated into transmission, incorrect converter, too many engine dowel pins, items stuck between the bell housing and block.

My guess would be the converter is not fully engaged into the transmission.

I don't really know how to tell if that's what it is, but I know that I did rotate it and push forward on it until I flunked into place. Is there a way to tell if it's not fully engaged

We pulled one out this morning and I took a flat edge and laid it across the bell housing and measured the gap between the flat edge and the converter pilot. I was able to get a 7/32 drill bit between this.

20170809_114820.jpg

We pulled one out this morning and I took a flat edge and laid it across the bell housing and measured the gap between the flat edge and the converter pilot. I was able to get a 7/32 drill bit between this.

View attachment 150231

So the shaft on the tourque converter should be fully inside the bell housing and not sticking out of it? How do I get it to engage more I kept trying and trying and it wouldn't go in any more

Keep spinning and bumping it, hopefully it will go all the way in. Maybe pull it back out and check for any damage to the hub and look up in the pump to see if the pump gears are showing any damage. Also the smaller shaft sticking out of the trans will come out, make sure its all the way in.

Keep spinning and bumping it, hopefully it will go all the way in. Maybe pull it back out and check for any damage to the hub and look up in the pump to see if the pump gears are showing any damage. Also the smaller shaft sticking out of the trans will come out, make sure its all the way in.

I was looking at the converter and it looks all good, tried to pull the little shaft out of the big one one the tranny and the thing won't budge. Also how easily should that shaft turn by hand? I know in the old tranny I can pull that shaft out like it's nothing but on this one I can't pull it out. Should this be somthing to be concerned about and if so what should I do next? Thanks for the help so far too I appreciate it.

Also, on the old tranny the torque converter will engage fully pretty easily. So it's starting to bother me that it won't on this tranny. I'm starting to believe when this guy pulled out this tranny he may have bent the shaft or somthing.

I believe the shaft is in backwards, I just can't get the thing to come out

I was thinking it might be in backwards

I have had a tough time getting those back out before, sometimes I have to wait till I have the transmission apart to get the shaft out of the planetary.

I have used a pair of vice grips attached to a slide hammer to get the shaft to come out before, even if you mess up the splines you can use your other one.

Also the splines in the overdrive planet are known to strip or wear significantly and can cause the shaft to get stuck.

I have had a tough time getting those back out before, sometimes I have to wait till I have the transmission apart to get the shaft out of the planetary.

I have used a pair of vice grips attached to a slide hammer to get the shaft to come out before, even if you mess up the splines you can use your other one.

Also the splines in the overdrive planet are known to strip or wear significantly and can cause the shaft to get stuck.
Yeah I've heard that about taking the tranny apart but with my luck I'd forget how it went back together. I'm gonna try the slide hammer and hopefully it'll come out

So finally got the shaft out and guess what.. wasn't in backwards. So now what do I do? Is the planetary stripped? I looked inside the tranny after I got the shaft out and it looks fine. I hope it isn't a junk tranny

I would try to reinstall the shaft and you might have to use a hammer handle or a dead blow hammer to get it to go all the in, obviously dont hit it hard just hard enough to make progress.

If it still wont go all the way in you may have to swap the overdrive planet and shaft with the one from your other unit.

I would try to reinstall the shaft and you might have to use a hammer handle or a dead blow hammer to get it to go all the in, obviously dont hit it hard just hard enough to make progress.

If it still wont go all the way in you may have to swap the overdrive planet and shaft with the one from your other unit.
Alright so I’ve tried to tap the shaft in and it really isn’t going from what I can tell. I’ve never took apart a tranny so how difficult is it to swap out the overdrive planetary? What all do I have to do to swap it out?

You will have to remove the pump and the overrun drum to get to the planetary, this can be done without removing the valve body. I would recommend that you stand the transmissions up on the their tail shafts to help keep things in place during the repair.

You are just going to have to do it and read up how things are connected and assembled on and what to expect when you remove the pump and drum.

This should give you a idea on if its something you can handle, if you can R&R the transmission I would think you could handle this repair to the transmission.

You will have to remove the pump and the overrun drum to get to the planetary, this can be done without removing the valve body. I would recommend that you stand the transmissions up on the their tail shafts to help keep things in place during the repair.

You are just going to have to do it and read up how things are connected and assembled on and what to expect when you remove the pump and drum.

This should give you a idea on if its something you can handle, if you can R&R the transmission I would think you could handle this repair to the transmission.

So do you have any idea how far the shaft should be in the tranny? I feel like it’s in but I’m not too sure. How far should the non splined part stick out?

I will take a picture for you when I am at the shop tomorrow

Back