2002 Mountaineer Transmission Slow to go into gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mountaineer Transmission Slow to go into gear

nherbst454

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer 4.6L
Hello all, I'm new to the Mountianeer market but do love driving around in my '03 Cobra! My question is does anyone else have a symptom where the transmission doesn't go into gear well when you first put it into gear? When I start it (usually cold) and put it into drive the engine will rev to about 3000 before we start moving. Afraid of damaging something I usually start it and just let it idle for a few (~10) seconds then it's fine. It shifts through the gears well and doesn't seem to have any other symptoms like the hard shift or shuttering.

I've contemplated taking it somewhere to have a flush done or just dropping the pan and doing the filter and what fluid I can fit into it myself but I know that doesn't get all the fluid out, especially what's in the torque converter.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nate
www.smoothflowpulleys.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could be lucky (well sorta) and it could be the torque converter not pressurizing the system. . . Or worst case something is wearing out (search on Servo Bores) and/or getting clogged (valve body).

There is another thread that might be similar to yours,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250127

Have you checked the fluid level yet? Low fluid can give those symptoms sometimes...

Yes, I've checked the fluid level and it's up. We took it to Aamco this morning and they ran a diagnostic and looked at the fluid. The service tech said that the fluid looks good and it seems to run properly. What I may do is leave it there for a few hours then have them start it and evaluate it.

At least the fluid doesn't have a burnt look or smell so hopefully we're still doing alright with it!

That's a good sign so far then.

I'd, um, stay there if I could to make sure nothing funny happens. I've heard too many stories about some Aamco transmission shops. Maybe a mom 'n pop shop in your area? In the end, they'll probably be cheaper or the same price, have better service too... At least that's the trend in my area...

Back