2002 Plastic Trim PLEASE HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Plastic Trim PLEASE HELP!!

Hello all, I decided to paint all the plastic trim\bumpers on m X since the sun has gotten the best of them and there pretty bleached.

Anyway, i cant seem to figure out how to get these panels off, the clips on the inside are near impossible to undo and i can get them off without bending things terribly.

any advice?

Im talking about these panels here...
exampley.jpg

Thanks,
Blake F

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also interested in doing this. What are you planning to use to paint? How long will this type of paint last? Thanks guys in advance!

I painted mine without taking them off.... just taped them off like crazy. However, I used Roll-On Herculiner... so no real chance of overspray.

Most of the guys here just hit them with Krylon Fusion and they turned out quite well.

Roadbully got his panels off... so search threads in the 2002-2005 section and I believe he explains how he did it.

I Was in the same boat, but instead of painting them I used a product called Forever Black, its a black dye. IT worked really really well.

Makes it a lot easier than removing and painting panels.

Hope this helps

http://www.foreverblack.com/

< and no I don't represent them, just wanted to share something I found>

Click the build link in my sig, I removed the trim and valance and painted it using Krylon Fusion. I don't have any body molding but I couldn't imagine that it would be too difficult to remove for painting.

The Krylon has stood up to limbs, tree scrapes and high powered car wash, you would never be able to tell they didn't come that color stock (mine were grey and I painted them black).

Also, you should be able to find any of the fasteners you need here The Fastener Warehouse

Are you sure those pieces are held on by clips or is it just double sided 3M panel tape?

krylon fusion is the way to go if u want to paint them. if u want to bring the plastic back, and not paint them, use peanutbutter. the oil in it brings the plastic back.

Back