• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ranger 4WD Light Stays On

El Predicador

Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 4wd
Good evening. Novice/Nube here. I just purchased a 2002 5-speed 4wd Ranger. Love it. Never had a 4wd before. Trying it out (while not moving) in low and then in high, it seemed to bind somewhat when in Low Range in reverse, so I put it back into high. Then the 4wd light came on and stayed on. RPM's are over 2000 when traveling at 60mph. Gas mileage is around 8 mpg. I'm thinking that may be stuck in 4wd?? Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Are you switching it when you are sitting still, or when you are moving slow?. The 4WD light that is on, is it the 4WD or 4WD low light?. Here is a link to the 2002 Ranger owners manual, look on page 166, 169, & 170, it has a description on how to use the system. http://www.fordrangerforum.com/frf/manuals/2002.pdf

Good evening. Novice/Nube here. I just purchased a 2002 5-speed 4wd Ranger. Love it. Never had a 4wd before. Trying it out (while not moving) in low and then in high, it seemed to bind somewhat when in Low Range in reverse, so I put it back into high. Then the 4wd light came on and stayed on. RPM's are over 2000 when traveling at 60mph. Gas mileage is around 8 mpg. I'm thinking that may be stuck in 4wd?? Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. Are you switching it when you are sitting still, or when you are moving slow?. The 4WD light that is on, is it the 4WD or 4WD low light?. Here is a link to the 2002 Ranger owners manual, look on page 166, 169, & 170, it has a description on how to use the system. http://www.fordrangerforum.com/frf/manuals/2002.pdf
Thanks for the quick response. I was switching when sitting still. I only know of one 4wd light (amber) that displays on the dash. I appreciate the link that you sent. I will check it out. Thanks again.

Were you driving in 4wd on pavement or off?

Back