2002 Sport Check Engine Light/Rough Idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Check Engine Light/Rough Idle

ChrisRS85

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hello all,

I have a stock 2002 Sport that has been problem free its whole life (161K miles). About 10K miles ago, I had the check engine light come on and hasn't gone off since. It didn't affect the driving, running or gas mileage- until recently. The gas mileage is still pretty good for me, but the idle has become very rough in the last week and the light has been blinking some.

Also, on three separate occasions, the engine would die on me while driving. It's a 5 speed truck, and when I depressed the clutch pedal the engine died, but upon release it started up again. A trip to Autozone for a code read showed that it was running lean, but it detected no other issues. I should also note that when I say my truck is stock, it is completely stock. I am running original factory everything, including plugs, clutch and cats.

I apologize for the lengthy message, but I'm becoming concerned with it's odd behavior- especially since I typically drive around 60-80 miles a day. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before? I appreciate any feedback in advance.

Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 51 views and no replies? That cant be right! Can someone help me narrow this down before I have to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars? I appreciate any help in the right direction :)

It could be the reason you're getting limited responses is that your posting in the area for Explorers, not Sport Tracs. I don't know what or how significant the differences are.

Try here instead: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120 It will take you to the 01-05 Sport Trac page on this website.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I'll give that a try. It is actually a 2-door Sport, not a "Sport-Trac", but maybe they are more similar.

Thanks again.

Okay great! Thank you, I'll check that out this evening. Also, will that cause it to stall? It died on me this morning after driving fine for about an hour, and then idling for about 7-8 minutes.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. It is actually a 2-door Sport, not a "Sport-Trac", but maybe they are more similar.

Thanks again.

Sorry, my mistake.

Let us know how you come out with it.

Sorry, my mistake.

Let us know how you come out with it.

No worries! I appreciate all the help. I took a look at the hose elbow, and sure enough it's all ripped up. I am getting the replacement part tomorrow, and hope to let y'all know if it does the trick.

Thanks again!

9 replies and no one ragged on you about totally skipping out of regular/preventative maintenance? Pretty mellow crowd.... Basically you should have already spent at least a few hundred on required maintenance. At 161k you're playing the odds with what's the next thing to go. Not trying to jinx you but things like serpentine belt can/will eventually leave you on the side of the road. I have a 2002 Explorer w/V8, 177k miles, gave it an extended maintenance/tune up when I began to use it to tow my trailer. Here's a list of things to replace or at least check to bring the odds back in your favor:

Replace:
Air Filter, Fuel Filter, spark plugs, thermostat, serpetine belt

Flush/replace fluids:
Anti-freeze, transmission gearbox oil, differential oil, brake fluid

Inspect/Clean/Replace if needed:
PCV valve, EGR valve
Serpentine Belt Tensioner & Idler pulleys,Water Pump, Alternator,
Brake rotors, Brake pads, front upper control arms/ball joints/stabilizer bar links & rubber bushings, front lower ball joints, rear stabilizer bar links, rear stabilizer bar bushings.

You can search this site for a lot of how-to's, or page through the list at this link:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54&order=desc

Congrats on getting over 160k on a set of spark plugs; I changed mine at 100k and then again at 165k. Maybe if you take yours out you could post a picture of them here; some would find that interesting.

Between Amazon and RockAuto you can get a good deal on a lot of auto parts...
Hope this helps.

9 replies and no one ragged on you about totally skipping out of regular/preventative maintenance?
That's an assumption. The OP mentioned NOTHING about this.
Chances are you're correct, and your advice is excellent. :thumbsup:

9 replies and no one ragged on you about totally skipping out of regular/preventative maintenance?

We were all waiting for you to show up.:D

Haha, I definitely deserve that. I've always been religious about changing the fluids, filters, and tire rotations... but the plugs, belt, and thermostat are all original- for now at least. I plan to do a good tune up as soon as I get the parts in.

Thanks for that run down though. It is very helpful. This, needless to say, has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

I thought I'd let everyone know that I bought the PCV elbow hose part from NAPA, and it worked like a charm. It only took about 10 minutes to remove the old one, cut the new one to size and slip it in place. The idle has completely smoothed out. My dash light is still on, but I am planning on replacing the plugs and wires in the next couple of weeks, so that may help out.

Do y'all have any recommendations for wires? I already bought a set of the platinum 4s, but I'm not sure they're any better than the stock ones considering how many miles I got from them!

Thanks again for all the help!

I thought I'd let everyone know that I bought the PCV elbow hose part from NAPA, and it worked like a charm. It only took about 10 minutes to remove the old one, cut the new one to size and slip it in place. The idle has completely smoothed out. My dash light is still on, but I am planning on replacing the plugs and wires in the next couple of weeks, so that may help out.

Do y'all have any recommendations for wires? I already bought a set of the platinum 4s, but I'm not sure they're any better than the stock ones considering how many miles I got from them!

Thanks again for all the help!
Glad to see the notorious PCV elbow fix again. Do NOT use Bosch plugs in this engine unless you need practice replacing them again.
Stick with OEM Motorcraft SP-500 or Autolite 103 series @ .054. Use anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the boots.
For plug wires, check Taylor Cable products. Time proven combination with the OEM plugs. Do it right and you're good for another 100K.:thumbsup:

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/pdfs/buyersGuide.pdf

Back