Sea Foam Check engine light, rough idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sea Foam Check engine light, rough idle

sebas54

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EXPLORER SPORT
Hi, I just put a bottle of Sea Foam into the PCV hose and now the Check Engine light is on and it has avery rough idle.

I have to drive back home 300 mile away in 2 days.
What happened? Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What trouble code triggered the illumination of the CEL?

Without the code, anything would just be a guess.

You honestly probably failed out your plugs, also you could have a misfire go ahead and start your engine and pull off one spark plug wire at a time to see if there is an increase in the rpms, if you pull a plug and the rpm doesn't change, that means that's the plug your having a misfire on. the misifre can be affecting your o2 sensor setting a trouble code(check engine light). so go ahead and pull the plug if its a misfire and clean it and replace the plug wire and you should be good to go.

sometimes you have to change the plugs after doing the seafoam from what I have read

Having used SeaFoam on many vehicles including boats for many years, I have never changed plugs nor have I had a need to do so.

Thanks,

I am going to go to autozone to have them read the codes later today. Hopefully it is just the spark plugs. I am goin to change the plugs and wires. I think there due. Once I get the codes I will post them. Thank you.

Having used SeaFoam on many vehicles including boats for many years, I have never changed plugs nor have I had a need to do so.

I am not trying to disagree or argue with you an anyway Al so please dont take this that way. I have had to change plugs on 2 different vehicles after using seafoam (including the explorer). Why and what caused this i have no idea at all. My best guess is to change your plugs and your problem will go away...

I just got back from Auto Zone and pulled the codes. p0305 cylinder #5 misfiring. I bought all new plugs and new wires. If there is anything that I am overlooking please let me know. Could I have a problem with my distributor pack???

Thanks again for all th help.

I just got back from Auto Zone and pulled the codes. p0305 cylinder #5 misfiring. I bought all new plugs and new wires. If there is anything that I am overlooking please let me know. Could I have a problem with my distributor pack???

Thanks again for all th help.

You probably just fouled cyl. #5 spark plug. Unless you feel it's time to change them, you could probably just pull and clean it. Your coil pack should be fine. Seafoam wouldn't hurt that. Make sure you check your oil for a fuel smell. It could have been dumping fuel down the cylinder if it was misfiring. If it smells, you should change the oil.

I am not trying to disagree or argue with you an anyway Al so please dont take this that way. I have had to change plugs on 2 different vehicles after using seafoam (including the explorer). Why and what caused this i have no idea at all. My best guess is to change your plugs and your problem will go away...

It might have something to do with how fast you suck the Seafoam in. Just a thought.

aldive said:

You're probably both right. A lot of it has to do with how dirty the motor is when you use the Seafoam. If you do it regularly (or use synthetic oils all the time) and the gunk doesn't build up too much, you most likely won't foul the plugs. If you have let the vehicle go 100k+ miles(and have run dino oil for the vehicle's life) before doing it, you're probably going to foul the plugs.

Hi, I just put in all new plugs and new wires. It got a little better but it still putters, stumbles, and hesitates. I also got another code after i reset the check engine light. P0306 #6 cylinder is misfireing now, before it was the 5th cylinder. Why is this happening after the fact that I put in the sea foam??

Please someone help I have to leave tomorrow morning to go back to college. I am going to change the 6th spark plug again and see if that helps.

Ok I just replaced the spark plug in cylinder #6 again and now it seems to be ok. I just went around the block. I am going to take her for a longer ride later to test her further. Thank you

bad plugs

If your having a misifire on cylinder #6 when you bought your plugs you probably just got a bad plug usually when you buy a six pack of spark plugs sometimes one can just be a bad plug. watch out for that! :eek:

I had the same tune-up Nightmare not too long ago about the platinum plugs. I used regular $2 plugs and my problems went away. Good luck.

i went trough the same thing i did the sea foam seafoam then later on in the day it was sputtering and bucking, went trough 2 sets of plugs and wires. none of them worked, it ended up being the O rings on the injectors that wore trowing me codes, on top of that the intake manifold gasket went on it because i used half a can of seafoam.check those 2 things see if it helps

Back