2002 sport trac wont start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 sport trac wont start

So on my truck My pump primes so not my inertia switch good to know thanks..really thinking my problem is a crash sensor
What is the fuel pressure at the rail? I believe you have a weak fuel pump. The crash sensors for your airbags, and there's a switch is for your fuel pump but since you have fuel pressure it's not your switch. Weak fuel pump is my guess

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the fuel pressure at the rail? I believe you have a weak fuel pump. The crash sensors for your airbags, and there's a switch is for your fuel pump but since you have fuel pressure it's not your switch. Weak fuel pump is my guess
OK so a week fuel pump would cause the switch to shut my fuel off?..

OK so a week fuel pump would cause the switch to shut my fuel off?..
No. That's inertia switch is for when you get into an accident it simply shuts the fuel pump off. I would check fuel pressure.

No. That's inertia switch is for when you get into an accident it simply shuts the fuel pump off. I would check fuel pressure.
I was driving and the switch did turn my pump off didn't hit no bumps so I pulled over and truck just cranked no fire..so I then went to switch and it was popped so I hit the button and truck fired right up so I'm thinking a sensor is bad cuz the airbag light is on as well

I was driving and the switch did turn my pump off didn't hit no bumps so I pulled over and truck just cranked no fire..so I then went to switch and it was popped so I hit the button and truck fired right up so I'm thinking a sensor is bad cuz the airbag light is on as well
On my sport track it goes off every once in awhile also. And the last few years it's happened twice. Mostly from doing sharp turns or hitting a speed bump or just normal driving. This sensor has nothing to do with your airbags. The crash sensors located near your front bumper.

Not starting on cold mornings is a classic sign of a worn-out fuel pump (I know, I've replaced 6 or 7 of them on various Explorers over the years and a worn fuel pump was the problem 99% of the time). I've found that the fuel pumps typically start giving cold-start issues at around 175k-200k miles. When it's colder out the fuel pump's motor brushes retract slightly and don't make a good contact on the motor's armature. Sometimes thumping the fuel tank below the fuel pump, or repeatedly toggling the ignition key on/off will get the pump started again and it may work fine for a time but typically it will not run on a cold morning. I had one that would fail randomly on hot days maybe once a year. This went on for multiple years until it finely failed hard on a cold morning. Replaced the pump and have never had another problem. I only recommend Bosch brand replacement fuel pumps.

Tip: If your engine isn't starting don't just keep cranking it until you run the battery down. You'll just ruin your starter motor. Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a gauge the next time your engine won't start. You should be seeing around 60-65 PSI of fuel pressure. If you don't the problem is fuel pump related.

In my experience other (1% if the time) no-start fuel related issues might be:
A tripped inertia fuel pump switch
A bad fuel pump relay
A severely clogged fuel filter
An issue with the crank position sensor or cam position sensor

Not starting on cold mornings is a classic sign of a worn-out fuel pump (I know, I've replaced 6 or 7 of them on various Explorers over the years and a worn fuel pump was the problem 99% of the time). I've found that the fuel pumps typically start giving cold-start issues at around 175k-200k miles. When it's colder out the fuel pump's motor brushes retract slightly and don't make a good contact on the motor's armature. Sometimes thumping the fuel tank below the fuel pump, or repeatedly toggling the ignition key on/off will get the pump started again and it may work fine for a time but typically it will not run on a cold morning. I had one that would fail randomly on hot days maybe once a year. This went on for multiple years until it finely failed hard on a cold morning. Replaced the pump and have never had another problem. I only recommend Bosch brand replacement fuel pumps.

Tip: If your engine isn't starting don't just keep cranking it until you run the battery down. You'll just ruin your starter motor. Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a gauge the next time your engine won't start. You should be seeing around 60-65 PSI of fuel pressure. If you don't the problem is fuel pump related.

In my experience other (1% if the time) no-start fuel related issues might be:
A tripped inertia fuel pump switch
A bad fuel pump relay
A severely clogged fuel filter
An issue with the crank position sensor or cam position sensor
My question I'd what triggers the inertia switch? That's my problem..something is triggering my switch I just need to figure it out..just bought guy gave no history on truck

My question I'd what triggers the inertia switch? That's my problem..something is triggering my switch I just need to figure it out..just bought guy gave no history on truck
Any dip in the road, sharp turn or just normal driving sometimes will trigger the switch. It's 20+ years old.

Replace it, inertia switch should only trip when the truck is hit or rolled over

Back