• Register Today It's free!

2002 V6 or V8 etc.

Milo

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I have decided to purchase one of the new 2002 Explorer LTD's. I have seen a lot of different opinions in regards to the V6 and the V8 engines but am still confused. Should I go with the V6 or wait for the V8 to come out? I won't be doing any towing or long trips up mountainous hills. Would resale value be better on the V8 in a few years?
I am of course anxious to get the vehicle, and they are now showing up slowly but surely in my area. However, would it be smarter to special order one as most likely they would be later production? In other words, does anyone think there will be more problems with the first batch of vehicles made vs those that are rolling off the lines now?
I understand the adjustable pedal and telescoping options are now hitting the asesembly lines (today in fact) and that the V8 models are scheduled to start production around the first of April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would wait a few months to buy one. I live in Louisville where the Explorers are made and I have seen a lot of them driving around as demo models. I have also seen several sitting on the side of the road with the lights flashing, probably broken down. They are begining to ship them out in full force as I have seen probably 100 truck loads of them in the last week or so. If you buy one soon and insist on reliability I would suggest the V6. The V8 will be a little faster and tow better(but you said you wouldn't be towing) but it is the first year for the 4.6L in the Explorer and I think it has been the biggest cause of all the delays.
IMHO the best thing you could do is wait a few months, if not longer, so they can work a lot of the bugs out.

I agree that you should wait for a little while to buy one. First, for reliability and second, the prices may come down a bit. If I were buying a new 2002 I would wait for the V8. The 4.6 has been in Mustangs for years and is a VERY good engine. Also, since it is a Mustang engine, there are lots and lots of speed parts for it. However, I would probably wait at least until the Fall to get one.

I had the same engine, the 4.6, in my 92 Crown Vic, and I LOVED that engine, I wish my Exploder had it now. It got great gas milage, was smooth, and very powerful.

Best Bet. Wait until the dealer gets the V8 models in and test drive them back to back. Do that a few times before you decide. Also take them on a 10 mile trip if the dealer will let you and compare gas usage between the 2. Tell them you'll buy the gas and that you want to compare the 2 different engines.

Considering the 4.6 is very similar to the v6 SOHC, youll notice they both are smooth, but hopefully Ford will have designed the gearing right to take advantage of the V8 and you will really see a difference between the 2.

I'd wait a few months and get the V8. Don't rush into buying something now and then regret it later. Get EVERYTHING you want or think you might want in the future on it. That way you won't wish you did later down the line. It's much easier and cheaper to be patient and get it right the first time.

I agree totally about not rushing and getting something that's not exactly what I want, I almost did that in the excitement of getting a new '02. I have spent a lot of time researching info on the new Explorer's and visiting dealers in the past few months. The NG's have of course been a wonderful source of information. It's amazing what little knowledge some dealers have while others are well-informed.

So, I have decided to wait things out a bit, until all of the first production vehicles are sold. I know a lot of bugs or annoyances won't be corrected until a year or two later but I gotta believe that there will have been at least a dozen or two "tweaks" and corrections for models built later in the model year. If I am going to buy an '02, and I probably will, I would rather have one built later this year than one of the first that were built months ago.

I'm looking at an LTD as I like the black interior and some of the extra options. And I might as well wait until they toss in the telescoping wheel, adjustable pedals and home link (by the way, current Explorer LTD's subtract a total of $350 from the retail sticker price for those 3 options).

It will be interesting to read further reviews as these new models spill out into the market, as well as see how the sales go. Dealers are really low-balling trade-ins now, many do not want used those Explorers. That's bound to have a noticeable effect on sales as most people would rather not hassle with selling vehicles on their own.

Also, if the new models end up with a lot of problems, recalls, bad publicity etc., it will really affect the depreciation value. I'd hate to pay $36k for a vehicle and have it drop in half to $18 or $20 in a year or two. I know they will depreciate of course but it seems now that the days of Explorers holding their resale value at a reasonable level are over.

As far as the engine goes, I'm still undecided, but leaning toward the V8. There are a lot of different opinions going around. If Ford would be more detailed on what exactly the problems with the initial production were I would feel a little more comfortable.

And I do not want the 3rd seat option. One, I will never use them. Two, they do not fold flat as does not the 2nd row, so the back is pretty uneven (a terrible and stupid engineering mistake), three, the 2nd row seats are split into thirds when you get the seat option, and four, without the seats you get the cargo shade, and the floor is nice and flat. It seems to be split about 50/50 on people who want the seats or not.

My main complaints with the '02:

The awful, annoying, and hard to use tilt-wheel mechanism
The large, unsightly passenger assist handle.
The odd placement of the keyless entry pad on the door
Awful location of the temp and compass readouts
Front seat seems too high, will not lower "enough"
The fear of problems, it being a first year model

For the most part, the positives of course far outweigh the negatives. With a little more quality, thought, and common sense, plus a summer or fall 2001 release instead of an early rushed release, and this could have been a near-perfect vehicle. Maybe we'll have that in 2004 or 2005... Overall, though, the 2002 is a great accomplishment.

Sport included?

Does anyone know if the 4.6 will be optional on the Sport? And with the 5 speed manual?

From what I understand, there will be no sport in the new body style. The sport will continue, at least for a little while, to be built on the same platform as the Sport Trac which is the old Explorer platform.

The Sport will most likely be discontinued in the next few years, as the Escape was built as its replacement. I don't like this, as I own a 91 Sport and think that its the best idea Ford ever had (a two door sport utility). We can only hope they will add a two door to the new body style if the calling is great enough.

Back