2002 V8 4.6L hard to start.

viclono

Reaction score
City, State
tampa fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer v8
Greetings,
My 4.6l xlt is having slow starts. First Crank I get nothing, 2nd it tries after 4-5 seconds, third it fires up with some pumping. If I cycle ignition switch to on with out cranking3-4 times four 4-5 second and then crank it fires up like new. Changed fuel filter which did not help. Is this pointing at fuel pump? Do I need to test pressure to confirm? Could it also be intake related? Replaced intake manifold last year with a Dorman. Check engine light is not coming on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that if it was a fuel pump issue that it would be even more of a problem once the engine is running. I only ever resorted to pumping the pedal on carborated engines to assist on starting.

I had a similar issue on a Chrysler mini van where I had to turn the key on to pre warm the ecm for at least 10 seconds before attempting to start the engine. Otherwise it would stumble on start up. I did this for 3-4 years until it started stumbling on acelleration in traffic which was a safety issue. I then replaced the ecm which corrected all the problems. Not saying this is your problem but something to keep in mind as i am sure most ecm's are similar and might even come off the same assembly line.

Read through this thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142801&highlight=fuel+check+valve

This has a bunch of great stuff about fuel systems.

You are probably losing pressure too fast when key is off.

Thanks for that. I had read through that once on my iphone and missed some of it. I still have questions though. Plan on doing test as soon as i find a guage. On another thread I saw that my '02 has the regulator on the pump assembly. Trying to figure out whether low reading points to fuel pump check valve or regulator. Then whether I can replace the defective part alone or have to do whole assembly. Cant find regulator aftermarket so thinking I may have to go to Ford to let them shine some light on the mystery. Probably be smart to go ahead and replace the whole ball of wax while tank is down.

I have the same problem, and my garage told me it was the check valve on the pump. I am going to change the pump this weekend.

I'm having the exact same issue as the op... also 4.6 V8 with Dorman intake. Mine usually starts on the second go... leaving the car in run for a bit, or pumping the throttle first seems to help with starting.

Just replaced fuel filter, but no avail. Did the fuel pump solve it for the rest of you?

It was definitely the fuel pump for my situation. The check valve on pump broke and I had to replace the fuel pump. I cut a hole in the floor and changed it that way and it ended up working really good. I actually didnt tighten the cover on the tank/pump enough and had to reopen it back up and tighten it. Good luck, I used the directions from the link above.

I'm thinking the check valve is probably the issue for mine too. Is it that terrible to drop the tank... I am not a huge fan of cutting into the floor, although you guys seem to have done a good job keeping your access small...

The dropping the tank looked way more difficult, especially since I don't have a hoist. The cutting the hole in the floor was a couple hour project which seemed way easier.

Back