2002XLS Complete System questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002XLS Complete System questions...

SD02XLS

Reaction score
City, State
SD, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
Alright, I just purchased a 2002 XLS almost bone stock, and had a few questions on what would be the best to go in to my new ride. Im looking to keep the X "stock" looking as possible, while upgrading the sound system.

- Would it be worth it to instead of putting in new 5x7/6x8s to get 5 1/4" components for the front and 6x8s for the back(and if so what 5 1/4" component sets are good for $160 and under?)

- Has anyone installed a Cd Changer in their glove box or center console(and if so how much modification went in to making it work?)

- Anyone installed a sub or amp in the cargo hatches in the floor in the back, or on the left side where the little cargo net pocket is.

- Is there a JL Stealth box made for an '02 XLS and who the heck sells them?

ANY help is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some ideas for you here:

I also need help on deciding some good door speakers...

I just put in the Infinity 572.5s and they make even the stock head unit sound good. I got them for $160 for 2 pairs off of ebay.

I also bought Infinity Kappas off eBay, replaced all the drivers for $250.

If you do 5.25" components you'll need mounting brackets.

Could 6 1/4's fit ?? I want something that will push out MID's real good.

You can but it'll have to be done custom. The factory opening is 5.5" by 7.5".

Edit: Also the difference between a 5.25" and a 6.25" speaker at least as far as the middle end goes is rather insignificant. As long as you go with a higher quality driver you should be fine with 5.25" components.

liquidx9 just got 6.5 components in the front and rear, they sound pretty awesome

check out my website at www.sounddomain.com/id/rawjbellar

This should show you some stuff you can do... if i was to upgrade my speakers right now i would probably change to the alpine type r comps in the front and 5 x 7 co axial in the rears.

Back