Subs under rear seat

chazman819

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLS Sport
Hi everyone, new to the site.

Have a quick question. Just bought an 05 XLS Sport, and will be basically taking my old system out of my F-150 and swapping it with the factory Explorer system. Except for the subs. Which leads me to this question...

Has anyone built or seen a box that would fit a 10" sub, or even an 8", under one of the rear seats? I ask because the back cargo area is for the dog, so I cannot put my box there..unless I went the route of a JL stealth of MTX thunderform box, but thought under the seat may work. Anyone ever done anything like that?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only under the seat sub box i've seen for the explorer is the one for the sport trac's. You could always go to a custom audio shop and ask if they will custom make a box but that will end up being $$$$ or just buy the MDF and make one yourself or just go for the stealth.

I would think a single speaker sub box specifically made for pickup trucks would fit ok. Like one that goes behind a regular cab Ranger or something. You probably wouldn't be able to put a 10" woofer under their but an 8" would probably work...

The problem is when you want to fold the back seat down, I don't think a box will allow that. I don't know if that would bother you, but it would bother me. I mean, the U in SUV has to be there, for me at least.

thanks for the help. Wasn't sure if it would be able to be done or not. That Blaupunkt may work, it would just be a matter of building the box in a way as to not interfere with folding the seat down.

Thanks

ive tried it before in a 91

the seats are big enough to fit the subs(my subs stuck out a little so i took em out) and a box? tight fit but it could be done...only loss you will have is the seats wont be able to fold down..like the post above....GL

I have an 8" sub under my rear seat. It fits perfectly. I had a shop do it custom, I can get you the dimensions if you want.

they sell things so that you can put the subs i nthe rear compartments

Back