2003 Explorer 5r55w transmission problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer 5r55w transmission problems

bravo3

Reaction score
City, State
Bella Vista Arkansaz
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4x4 XLT
So I bought this 2003 4.0 4x4 explorer 5r55w (180k) with all maintenance records for cheap. Dirt cheap. $1 cheap! Its in great condition inside and out. The engine is runs like new but the trans is not doing so good. Here's what I'm experiencing... Late engagement from Park to Drive/Reverse and slipping in 2nd and 3rd. Occationally the OD light flashes and lose OD. I've yet to drop the pan but plan too this weekend when I have time.. The person I bought it from said he tried to leave the house one day and it wouldn't move so he parked it. Previously it shifted good. He sold it to me for $1 if I'd get it out of his garage. DEAL!!! After starting it, sure enough, it wouldnt move. So I revved it up a bit, shifted into reverse and it engaged. Ive been doing that for a few days since bringing it home. This leads me to believe its a trans fluid pressure loss issue. I'm thinking the ever notorious servo issue. Ive read on here about aftermarket servos with orings that can be installed without removing the trans. Would anyone happen to have a link to that kit? I'm a certified auto mechanic so I'm comfortable with a wrench but transmission work is another world for me. Ive swapped plenty but never rebuilt one. If any of you can shed light on this I'd greatly appreciate it!

So I bought this 2003 4.0 4x4 explorer 5r55w (180k) with all maintenance records for cheap. Dirt cheap. $1 cheap! Its in great condition inside and out. The engine is runs like new but the trans is not doing so good. Here's what I'm experiencing... Late engagement from Park to Drive/Reverse and slipping in 2nd and 3rd. Occationally the OD light flashes and lose OD. I've yet to drop the pan but plan too this weekend when I have time.. The person I bought it from said he tried to leave the house one day and it wouldn't move so he parked it. Previously it shifted good. He sold it to me for $1 if I'd get it out of his garage. DEAL!!! After starting it, sure enough, it wouldnt move. So I revved it up a bit, shifted into reverse and it engaged. Ive been doing that for a few days since bringing it home. This leads me to believe its a trans fluid pressure loss issue. I'm thinking the ever notorious servo issue. Ive read on here about aftermarket servos with orings that can be installed without removing the trans. Would anyone happen to have a link to that kit? I'm a certified auto mechanic so I'm comfortable with a wrench but transmission work is another world for me. Ive swapped plenty but never rebuilt one. If any of you can shed light on this I'd greatly appreciate it!

First, check for trouble codes. Check fluid level and appearance. If not low, check hydraulic pressure. If within normal range, look into what mechanical issues would cause your symptoms.

By slipping in 2nd. and 3rd., do you mean while moving in "D", or manual 2nd. and manual 3rd.? If the vehicle hardly moves, how do you know it has lost OD?

Servo issue: 3 servos. OD servo operates only in D-2nd., D-5th., D-2nd. w/OD OFF, and manual 2nd.

Intermediate servo operates only in D-3rd., D-3rd. w/OD OFF, and manual 3rd.

Low/Reverse servo operates only in R, manual 2nd., and manual 3rd.

Think servos only after exhasusting simple checks first. imp

First, check for trouble codes. Check fluid level and appearance. If not low, check hydraulic pressure. If within normal range, look into what mechanical issues would cause your symptoms.

By slipping in 2nd. and 3rd., do you mean while moving in "D", or manual 2nd. and manual 3rd.? If the vehicle hardly moves, how do you know it has lost OD?

Servo issue: 3 servos. OD servo operates only in D-2nd., D-5th., D-2nd. w/OD OFF, and manual 2nd.

Intermediate servo operates only in D-3rd., D-3rd. w/OD OFF, and manual 3rd.

Low/Reverse servo operates only in R, manual 2nd., and manual 3rd.

Think servos only after exhasusting simple checks first. imp

Fluid is full and still has decent color, no leaks. It slips while in drive and if I shift into those2 gears manually. It'll still do 70mph on the highway so it's still very mobile. From a stop it'll shift into 2nd 3rd and 4th on time if a baby it. If I give it moderate throttle while it's in 2nd or 3rd both gears will slip out. Overdrive works until it warms up. While driving in OD, the OD light will flash and it'll hop in and out of OD while trying to maintain speed. I haven't ran the CEL yet due to my scan tool being at the manufacture for a warranty claim. I'll swing by an auto parts store and have it scanned then post codes here. As far as I know these problems appeared within a few weeks of each other.

Back