• Register Today It's free!

5r55w woes

Mla2008

Reaction score
City, State
Afton Wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey everyone. New to the site as a member but I have been readin all of your great advice for a while now but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer with the 5r55w and I am struggling. Getting onto the free way after about 5 hours of driving the car seemed to lose power shifting from 1-2 and I rolled to a stop. I am able to get into 3rd with the shifter but 1,2, and reverse are all gone. When putting it into any of the problem gear I can feel the trans shift and act like it engages but there is no go. I replaced the solenoid block but to no avail. Have not been able to read codes but I know there are some there since it put me into limp on the freeway. I also removed the servo you access from in the pan and all seemed ok with it. Gasket looked good. Pressing up on the band it controls yielded a band that tightened and didn't seem broken and from what I have read all of the problem gears are run from that servo and band. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are at 150k with the v8 motor. Hope I provided enough info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I'll do that before proceeding and I did have the overdrive light flashing but it no longer does

Ok I ran the car again and came up with a p1700 code. My code reader said something about failing neutral. But on the web it sounds like a general trans failure. I took it down the road and found in a parking lot that I had 1,2 but they didn't last long. No reverse still. Any ideas?

The problem could be this little valve, it can stick a cause issues like this. I have seen this happen several times and I replace it on every rebuild, problem is that this valve is in the pump.

Its a good idea to get the codes but the loss of reverse or drive will not be a electrical problem or a solenoid, you will probably have to pull this tranny out.

Thank you jk080. I have now run a can of trans tune from sea foam and now have a second gear from time to time. Reverse acts like it wants to try still but not more. If in 4 low it will give me a little more. So I do feel like it is a lack of pressure. Does this still sound like that valve? And what is its function?

And all gears work in low range minus drive and reverse. All though reverse in low range will actually move the car

Are you able to check line pressure?

5r55w pressure tap.JPG

Pump Pressure Relief Valve

Years back, the transmissions used a separate pressure regulator, mounted outside of the pump. FMX, for example.

They have evidently resorted to relieving excess pump pressure nowadays right inside of the pump, by dumping the excess fluid back into the pump inlet, as
jk showed. Oil pumps mounted in engines' oil pans have done it that way mostly forever, also power steering pumps. Trouble is, it is hard to get to, requires yanking out the transmission, then converter, then pump.

The line pressure measurement would settle this issue, probably. Only other possibilities for such complete loss of fluid volume would be a busted valve body, or LOW FLUID LEVEL in the trans. imp

I have not checked line pressure but I'm not sure I could. I'll look into the prices of doing so. Any tips on doing it? I know my fluid is not low. It's been drained and filled with new. Would a low pressure keep 3rd working. I am obviously no expert but it would seem to me that a low pressure at the pump would affect all gears. So maybe point at valve body?

And all gears work in low range minus drive and reverse. All though reverse in low range will actually move the car

Your first post said you didn't have 1st and 2nd so that made me think a pressure issue. If you do have a good solid manual 1st and 2nd gear and no movement in reverse and drive that makes me think the input sprag might have failed.

I found a used supposedly rebuilt trans for $400. I think I'll go that way. I'll drop the pan and look it over but I think it should be a good deal. I'm not sure if it is a 5r55s or 5r55w but from what I have read it shouldn't matter? It will bolt up and run. Just a little different 2nd gear ratio.

Not sure on miles. Supposedly rebuilt 8 months ago. Going to see if I can verify tomorrow. Dropped the pan. Fluid is a little dark and burnt but no major metal in the pan. Magnet was fuzzy. Going to start the swap tomorrow.

Back