2003 explorer xlt modification desires..would like input! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 explorer xlt modification desires..would like input!

Nuksky

Reaction score
City, State
Washington dc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Afternoon everyone as Im relatively new to the site and you guys have been a wealth of knowledge for me I am looking to you guys for a little help....I have been planning on doing some modifications to my 2003 xlt :exp: , which I listed below..the thing is I am not sure if they are possible or are worth it,I'd like a little input from you guys as I'm kinda on the fence about things. I am in Washington Dc btw if anyone is local and know of any good spots for parts or whatever

1. Install 3rd row seating- I obtained a third row seat..it is tan and my interior is dark grey.I found a discussion on here about leatherique so I am going to dye it to match,or change all of the seats altogether. One issue I have is safety, as I am installing it where there was previously not one..how does this work accident wise? I am unsure if the models with the third row installed factory have additional airbags or whatever. Secondly, is it worth the cargo space loss to add additional people. I dont have kids yet but kinda get frustrated when I cant take a road trip and pack my friends in..u know having just 5 seats like a car.. If you guys have any ideas on where to get one in my color without the dye or other parts Im down to hear it too.

2. Install overhead heat/ac.-
Since I am installing a third row I would like them to have air/heat so I was going to modify that in. There is a local junkyard with a headliner with the vents and controls all in place but I do not know what else is needed or how to install ..if it is possible

If you guys have any ideas or examples of how you have upgraded your trucks Id like to hear it too..Thanks in advance :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could help, but instead I'll sit back and hope for pics once you start doing these things :popcorn: Always enjoy seeing the nice interior touches that make the truck unique.

i swapped my entire interior while adding a third row. Here are my pictures
Before:
IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

After:
IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

all of the mounting holes were already in the body of the truck so the third row seat and seat belts are secure. One thing i was told is that the NON 3rd row explorer body had an incline towards the back, where as the FACTORY 3rd row bodies were relatively flat, meaning that your 3rd passengers will sit with their heads slightly closer to the roof

here is the install write up:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220770

Also, does the donor rear A/C vehicle have digital HVAC controls? as i believe you need the digital, not manual, to have rear A/C

Goodluck :thumbsup:

Also, you will have to unbolt the second row and move it forward in the body of the truck, to give the 3rd row passengers foot room. the holes to move the second row forward are also already predrilled in the body.

This will make a lot more sense when you have you're second row removed and carpet folded back. Also you will need a piece of carpeting from the donor truck to extend from under the second row to underneath the third row

Also, does the donor rear A/C vehicle have digital HVAC controls? as i believe you need the digital, not manual, to have rear A/C

Goodluck :thumbsup:

I have manual controls with stock 2nd and 3rd row air. Here is what mine looks like.

Dash
7658294802_0f8e051cbe.jpg

Front
7658122564_e6a2f1355b.jpg

Back
7658129840_df364121d2.jpg

Great job Kazer, im hoping to get the same look with mine..only thing is the donor vehicle is tan and although I do not like tan at all i cant wait around to run upon a darker explorer as I have been searching for like a year..Im going to just go forward with the tan for now and dye it I think...Aye how did you do your doors like that! mine are faded from the sun..the previous owner didnt have tints

@Kazer and jghake, the donor vehicle has the manual controls like the ones in jghake's pics so I'm good as I have manual too..BTW is there a write up for the rear a/c ..im not sure if i need to install anything besides the headliner with the vents and thats it lol (probably not). and I also purchased a digital temperature control console (the one where the radio is up front) and I was reading that since I have the manual controls currently..there is noooo possible way to change from manual temperature control to digital..anyone done that before?

That interior looks so much better!

Back