2003 limited v8 4.6l keeps stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 limited v8 4.6l keeps stalling

Phils290

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer 4.6 v8
Hi,

Not sure what market but I am in New Zealand. Have a 2003 explorer 4.6 v8 limited model, automatic. And it keeps stalling when I roll up to a stop or take a corner slowly.

Was running fine without issues, nothing significant has changed. Fuels over half a tank.

When it stalls, check engine comes on and the low oil pressure comes on screen but doubt this is the issue as it will have no pressure after engines dead.

Need to throw it into Park and turn the ignition again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

Not sure what market but I am in New Zealand. Have a 2003 explorer 4.6 v8 limited model, automatic. And it keeps stalling when I roll up to a stop or take a corner slowly.

Was running fine without issues, nothing significant has changed. Fuels over half a tank.

When it stalls, check engine comes on and the low oil pressure comes on screen but doubt this is the issue as it will have no pressure after engines dead.

Need to throw it into Park and turn the ignition again
check your torque converter clutch - if it isn't unlocking it will cause those problems.

I'm going with IAC. I had the same issue in my first 03 way back when.

I'm going with the IAC. If you do change it, get Motorcraft. Don't waste your time with other brands, they are junk. I tried four of them from different sources and finally shelled out and got the Motorcraft and it ran perfect again.

Awesome, thanks for the replies, will try to get this sorted -- Is it something someone can easily install with little knowhow or should I get a mechanic to do it all?

it's really simple to replace, it's on the very top of the engine and very accessible. Need a 1/4" ratchet and an extension to loosen the 2 bolts. you might need a new gasket. if you can replace brake pads or tires it can be done, no need for a mechanic. disconnect the battery before replacing and reconnect after. There's an idle relearn procedure on youtube (fordtechmakuloco) that you need to follow (sometimes it's not even necessary because it will just re-learn once you start driving it)

Back