• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT Outer Tie Rods

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I checked today and see the outer tie rod ends have torn boots for the third time! I ordered two replacements.

I also noticed a torn boot on the passenger side upper control arm ball joint. Going to attempt a replacement but ordered the whole arm just in case!

Why the frequent torn boots on the tie rod ends? I torque them to spec. each time. No idea why this continues to happen!

I checked today and see the outer tie rod ends have torn boots for the third time! I ordered two replacements.

I also noticed a torn boot on the passenger side upper control arm ball joint. Going to attempt a replacement but ordered the whole arm just in case!

Why the frequent torn boots on the tie rod ends? I torque them to spec. each time. No idea why this continues to happen!
I think it's the poor quality of the boots themselves. I replaced front UBJs recently for that reason. Brand was MevoTech. I'd like to have a source for some decent boots, I certainly wouldn't mind so much replacing the boots occasionally, if that's what it comes to.
On my 2G I replaced the outer tie rod end boots with Energy Suspension brand, actually wrote a how to on 2G about it. Wasn't a popular thread, don't recall getting a single reply.
Once I replaced one of the tie rod ends, so I saved the Energy Suspension seal. Needed it within a couple months, because that's how long it took for the crummy seal on the Advance Auto part to split wide open.

Back