• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT V8 with tranny problem

Tom N

Reaction score
City, State
sarasota,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT V8 4X4
I have a 2003 XLT V8 4x4 with 80k on it and the O/D light is flashing. It shifts into 2nd very high in the rpm range and wont go into od at all. So i had the code pulled and is said something to the effect of needing to change the shift solenoid. So I did that and it still acts the same. Pulled the code again and it says 2nd gear ratio out of range??? Any idea what the problem could be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont remember the code number. But it said "2nd gear ratio out of range"

I have a 2003 XLT V8 4x4 with 80k on it and the O/D light is flashing. It shifts into 2nd very high in the rpm range and wont go into od. so i had the code pulled and is said something to the effect of needing to change the shift solenoid. So I did that and it still acts the same. Pulled the code again and it says 2nd gear ratio out of range??? Any idea what the problem could be.

Is this is the 4r70w trans? If so I would take a peak at the 1-2 shift accumulator. They are good for breaking the spring and causing high rpm and very harsh shifting from 1 to 2.

Eric

I believe its the 5R55W.

I think it is either the O/D servo or the band broke.
If the band broke how would that effect 2nd gear?
Anyone know.

The servo engages the band to grab the drum to get you into second gear.

So by my description of the problem do you think it is more likely that the OD servo is bad or the band is broke.
Thanks for your help.

Dropped the pan when the solenoid pack was replaced thinking it was the problem. Didn't see and pieces of metal. How much should I adjust the band. Like one full turn and should I be going clock wise.
If the band was broke would the truck still go into 2 gear?

Should you be able to tell if the band is broken by adjusting on it.
What should I expect to see happen if I adjust it in some?

Just trying to see if there is a way to narrow it down better between it being a broken band or a bad OD servo before taking it apart.

See if the band could be adjusted by turning the stud. If it keeps turning, then most likely the band is broken, and the parts are sitting inside of the pan.

Alright I`ll try that.
I already took the pan off though and there weren't any parts in it.

Back