• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.6L engine cover

gshep12

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 04 Limited 4.6L
I know this may sound dumb; I took my vehicle in to have reg. maintenence and warranty work for bubbling paint. When I got my vehicle back I noticed that the Black plastic cover or box that sat on top of the engine near the firewall was missing. I spoke with the dealer they claim there was no cover. I'm adament that there was. More specifically because when it was intact it made it impossible for me to clean out the accorns left by chipmunks or squirrles who climbed into the engine compartment when vehicle is parked outside. Does anyone have a picture of a 4.6L V8 engine with this cover on top the engine. I somehow believe its related to the air intake. The 3 or 4 inch hose that leaves the box where the air filter is housed was connected to this box or cover and the that hose I believe connected under the cover going in to the top of the manifold. Please if anyone out there has pictures of their V8 engine please post. Your vehicle would have to be built late 2003 or the first quarter of 2004. I beleive there were some modifications on the 4.6L V8 after the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2004.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some. Not sure about the exact manufacturing dates, though...

A2282809.jpg

85740A03.jpg

4ZB0444627.jpg

4.6L Engine

Hi thanks for the pics. The 4.6L is my engine, however where the 4.6L emblem is on the engine there use to be a large black cover of some sort on my 04 Limited. I didn't realize there was a 4.6L emblem because you couldn't see it; it covered the injector parts as well; that is why I couldn't get my hand underneath in order to clean out the acorns. Between the cover and the injectors it was impossible to get in there. I was told by two opposing dealerships that the cover was not put on all the 4.6L. The 4.6L that you pictured has access to remove acorns off the top of the engine by sticking you hands in and picking them out. My engine looks identical to that now because the cover is gone. I tried to explain to the Service Mgr. at the dealership that the acorns were there for some time because I couldn't reach in to remove them due to the cover on top of the engine and the injectors. You may be wondering why I would want my cover back; its about principle. You bring your vehicle in for service, it should be returned in the same state; meaning all of its parts that it was received with. No modification should be made without the express permission of the customer. The Mgr. agreed to order the cover if I can come up with the part number. I went to the opposing dealer and they know exactly what I'm talking about and they said they don't recall the part #. They had to email Ford Motor one other time for an escape that has that similar cover on top of its intake manifold. The cover was not listed in their parts catalog in that instance. They had to contact Ford for it. This is my situation as well.
I just wanted to see a picture of a 4.6L with the cover I'm talking about. I'm inclined to think that they may have put this cover only on the Limited and possibly the Eddie Bauer model.
If there is anyone out there with one that has the cover; please post a pic of it.

I'm inclined to think that they may have put this cover only on the Limited and possibly the Eddie Bauer model.
If there is anyone out there with one that has the cover; please post a pic of it.

I have an '04 EB 4.6 no cover. My guess it was a Aviator cover, do you remember a Lincoln logo on it? Did you get the truck used?

Mine looks like the Third Pic, wife drives it, so no pics.

Cover

My 03 xlt has the same cover you are missing. It has a V8 logo like the real old fords used to have. Wife has the car and isn't home right now but when she gets here I will take picture and try to post it.

all the 02+ Ex's with the 4.6 i've seen have the black cover that makes everything look nice and neat with the Old School V8 logo on it

I do know that my '02 4.6L Limited has a black plastic cover over the top/center of the engine that completely hides the intake manifold and extends almost to the firewall, and about half-way over the head/valve/cam covers, and forward to the cooling system. It has chrome stripes running fore and aft and the old school V8 symbol in the center. It is held on with four bolts allen-headed screws (I think), but I have never had it off, so I'm not certain. I wold estimate the overall size at about 24" wide by 18" deep.

My wife drives it during the day, and I work long hours, so I not sure when and if I can get a picture.

Not sure if this is a Limited-only item. Serves no purpose really. Guess I am too old school.

4.6L Engine

This response is for all who have post. I'm the original owner; I believe in my prior post I stated that not all 4.6L came with a cover, moreover the cover does not have the engine displacement on it.

EasyRhino can you take a picture and post it for me @ your convenience. There is no difference between the 02 thru 04 4.6L; I had a 02 previously.

Thanks RedJeep, If you can post a pic that would be great.

My vehicle is a stock 4.6L engine; I have never known Ford to put any form of Lincoln emblems on a Ford vehicle.

4.6 engine cover

IMGP0742a.jpg

Hope this works

Wasn’t sure if you where the original owner, never seen Ford with Lincoln Logo either, but I thought a previous owner might for some unknown reason. Do the Mounty's have one? My '04 is a March '04 build and built in St Louis. The third picture looks like my truck based on the Fan Shroud. On a side note I also have bubbling paint on the edge of the hood.

This made me curious enough to go to ebay motors and check out 2002 and 2004 V8 Explorers that are for sale. The pics that I looked at of '02s with the V8 all have the plastic cover (as does mine). The pics of the '04s with the V8have no cover, just like the 3rd pic posted by dmstangu. Maybe some did and some didn't in 2004? None with the cover for sale on ebay though.

4.6L Engine

RedJeep,
Your cover looks a little different, mine did not have a V8 logo on it; as far as I can recall it was just a black plastic cover. I'm thinking the post from EasyRhino who has a 02 Limited will have the same cover that my 04 Limited had. I had a 02 and it was identical to my 04, the vehicle color was the only difference. I hope he gets the tiime to post a pic for me.thanks again.

jrford, T
The paint bubbling is why I took the vehicle in to begin with. Ford farmed out the paint work but did the brakes and some fluid changes for me.

late to the party, but...

I know this may sound dumb; I took my vehicle in to have reg. maintenence and warranty work for bubbling paint. When I got my vehicle back I noticed that the Black plastic cover or box that sat on top of the engine near the firewall was missing. I spoke with the dealer they claim there was no cover. I'm adament that there was. More specifically because when it was intact it made it impossible for me to clean out the accorns left by chipmunks or squirrles who climbed into the engine compartment when vehicle is parked outside. Does anyone have a picture of a 4.6L V8 engine with this cover on top the engine. I somehow believe its related to the air intake. The 3 or 4 inch hose that leaves the box where the air filter is housed was connected to this box or cover and the that hose I believe connected under the cover going in to the top of the manifold. Please if anyone out there has pictures of their V8 engine please post. Your vehicle would have to be built late 2003 or the first quarter of 2004. I beleive there were some modifications on the 4.6L V8 after the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2004.

You know what your vehicle had and didn't have... Tell them to get you another one... Don't let them insist YOU are wrong. They took in your vehicle, a part is missing. They don't need a picture, they need to get you your part back. What is the part number? If you don't have it, get it, and tell them to get the d### thing back on there - It's yours!! This all is assuming the part was seen on the vehicle by you prior to it being taken in for service. You DID see it on there BEFORE it went in, right?

4.6 L Cover

Thanks EasyRhino,
That cover still looks a little different from what was on my vehicle. I do not recall having the V8 logo. All I know is that it was black and it made the top of the engine inaccessible to reach in and clean out the acorns left by a chipmunk or whatever. I got a part number and called the Serv. Mgr @ the dealer; he's going to look into it. Thanks to all who have responded to my dilemma.

I have an '03 Limited with a 4.6 and I have the same engine cover as Red Jeep and the link Easy Rhino posted.
I took mine off because it didn't seem very functional to me but I understand your point in wanting it back.

I have an 04 4.6 and have wanted to add this cover since I bought the explorer.

This cover was only on the 02's and 03's.
There is a difference between them though.
in 03 Ford moved the oil filler tube to the passenger side and that required modification to the engine cover.
(I know this because it was a response from when I posted a question about adding it to an 04)

So to add this to an 04+ 4.6, you will need one from a late mfg date 03.
I believe its held on with 2 bolts in the back, and 2 on front over the alternator with spaces on the front bolts to make it sit right.

If anyone out there parting out an 03 and has this cover Id be interested.

There is one on ebay now for a 02
I probably would have bought it and done the modification myself but the seller wont ship it. Local pick up only in Warminster, PA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190094215058&rd=1
Notice its 02 only as there is no notch on the front passenger side for the oil filer tube like the one pictured in this tread above by RedJeep
8375_1.jpg

You can see the oil filler tube in this picture and the necessary modification.
IMGP0742a.jpg

So the end result is that 04's were not supposed to have these. Unless you have a very early late production date in 03 maybe.
If you want one on your 04+ 4.6, you need one from late 03.

I have an '03 Limited with a 4.6 and I have the same engine cover as Red Jeep and the link Easy Rhino posted.
I took mine off because it didn't seem very functional to me but I understand your point in wanting it back.

how did you take the cover off? I found only the 2 nuts towards the front of the cover and I couldn't locate what was holding the back of the cover in place. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you take the cover off? I found only the 2 nuts towards the front of the cover and I couldn't locate what was holding the back of the cover in place. Thanks.

On some models the rear mounts are just pressure fit
Pry up slowly and it should pop.

Back