2004 4.6L PCV system For diagram needed ASAP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.6L PCV system For diagram needed ASAP

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
hey all. As the title says... is the PCV actually on the intake elbow or in one of the cam covers?

In '02-'03 were they in a different place? Any reason I can flip?

Any details would be much appreciated.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its on the left valve cover. The one on the right cover (attaching to the intake) doesnt have a valve and is the breather hose. Fresh air goes in through the breather hose, mixes with blow-by gases, and is then routed through the PCV valve back into the intake manifold. Sorry no pics.

Haynes doesnt mention any differences between years so assume the 02-03 are the same.

My '02 is as described above, with the PCV on the driver's side valve/cam cover.

Now I'm doubting my memory. I'll go out and check as soon as the sun comes up. Either way it is on one of the valve covers and very easy to get to.

On the 05 V8 Mountaineer, the PCV is on the right (passenger side) valve cover, about midway along the cover length. The hose goes from the PCV to the throttle body by way of a large quick connect (like the breather hose connections).

Apologies, I was a bit unclear. I meant left side when looking into the engine bay. So yeah, as others have described, its on the passenger side.

thanks all... yes I confirmed my '04 has the PCV in the Passenger cam cover. so the "pre-heat function" at the intake elbow just adds heat at the entrance to the intake.

I would still REALLY like to see a Ford OE diagram of EMissions flow... just for reference.

Rob

Back