• Register Today It's free!

2004 Acceleration lag

tonedeafaudio

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I just purchased a 2004 XLT 4.6 and Tow Package. The truck runs and rides great, except one small issue. When taking off from a dead stop as I push the gas pedal nothing happens till I go about 1/2 inch down then it takes off really hard. It's almost hard to take off without spining the tires a little. When its wet out it's nearly impossible to take off without spinning the tires.

Has anybody else had this issue and know how to fix it???

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the throttle body is sticking.

Thanks Matt,
You think removal and a good cleaning will fix it?

That sounds like the infamous drive-by-wire throttle lag that the '04+ Explorers are known for. Mine did the same thing, which proved to be quite a bear to deal with in the snow and ice during the winter, but I picked up a SCT XCal3 with a custom tune from Henson Performance to get rid of the lag. Good luck.

Tom

Squirrelmaster, where do you get the sensor from i can not find the website, does it need to be prgramed or just swao and go?

Thanks

Soon after I got my '04 4.6, it developed a similar problem, at about 40,000 miles. It wouldn't act up from a dead stop, but liked to do the throttle lag thing when coasting (foot off throttle) between say 10 and 25 MPH, you then want to give it just a ...little... gas - like in heavy city traffic... :p:

Cleaning the MAF helped a lot, but didn't stop it completely. (Get the proper cleaning spray or you will kill the sensor - search the forum for the procedure). I then stopped buying convenience-store gas and fed it nothing but name-brand from a high-volume station. That helped some more, but it was still there sometimes.

The final cure was in how my X is driven. It lives it's life in city traffic. Driving around as part of my job during the day and acting as my children's taxi weekends. I now take it out once a week and "drive it like I stole it", including a little red-line for a good time (with the engine fully warmed up, of course). No more throttle lag :p:

thats why i prefer CABLE driven throttles but someday ill have to fall victim to throttle by wire eventually

I have a 04 xlt v8 and I never really noticed that much lag with mine. At least nothing I can complain about.

n2epv,
I'll have to check into that. When I got the truck home I checked the airfilter and it was a cheap FRAM and completely covered in thick caked on dust and dirt. I picked up a new AIR HOG filter and that helped a bit. I'll check the MAF tomorrow and try and get my fuel system cleaned out as much as possible.

no acceleration

not sure what to do burn it junk it 2004 explorer with 4.6l this started with a cyl. 5 miss -fire yes the engine has 200 thousand miles on it small rod noise looks great the dash reads engine in safe mode it starts and idles i did have a code sorry did not write it down but was told the code was for the gas pedal out of range so i changed it and just to be on the safe side i also changed the idle motor do i need to program the pedal what give so tired of this truck please help thanks in advance.:salute:

#5 is where coolant cross over leaks into the spark plug well. Look there.

The '04 4.6 I picked up a couple weeks ago does the exact same thing as the OP's. I haven't had time to look at it yet, but it was recommended I take it to the dealer for a throttle body cleaning. Apparently there's a TSB for this issue.

Well guy's I've got good new for you, I had this same issue with my 04 4.6 as soon as I bought it, it was so annoying! The fix? A simple little tps sensor also know as a (throttle position sensor) it's located on the front side of the throttle body, whatever you do don't clean it! I cleaned it with the appropriate electrical parts cleaner and it worked for a couple of days, unfortunately while I was on the freeway the little wrench light came on and the gas pedal was dead, the truck went into limp mode, I had to get towed home, anyways I went to O'Reillys auto parts to get it, is was 71.99$ and comes with a lifetime warranty. if it ever fails again I can just take it in and swap it out, just be careful with the star bolts I striped one and it was a bitc* to get out, anywho, after I plugged it up closed the hood and started it bam! The throttle was just like a new one, as soon as you pushed the gas it was as smooth as silk, trust me guys it was like winning 500$ on a scratch off! It was alot easier for me to remove the whole TB and I took advantage of the repair and cleaned it all up, it was a dirty but not too bad, good luck hope you guys get them thirsty v8's running right again! :D

Back