2004 Explorer 2-3 flare during shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 2-3 flare during shift

mattredd

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a 04 XTL v6 with 67k miles on it. Recently (over the past 10k miles) the transmission will occasiionally flare when shifting from 2nd to 3rd (no O/D light ever). I call it a flare because the RPM needle will jump from ~2300 to 3000, then shift smoothly. No clunks, nothing. Its becoming more frequent so I took it to a shop that I trust to get the fluid changed.

After describing the problem, a tech took it out and finally got it to flare during the 2-3 shift. I was advised that it is the servo bore wearing out (as they do around 67k miles) and would require a rebuild with the updated parts for 2300.

My question is should I be experiencing the same flare from 4-5 if its the servo bore wearing out? I dont understand why it would only be on the 2-3 shift.

Obviously I am hoping that the rebuild will not be needed and is something else however if I have to plunk down the money, I will happily do it since the truck has been 100% trouble free to this point.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Matt. There is an imtermediate servo and an overdrive servo. Sounds like the intermediate servo bore is the only one worn enough in your tranny to be causing problems at this time. For sure you want both bores reamed out and sleeved while the shop has it all apart though. It really shouldn't cost any more to do both of them as this job is mostly the labor to remove and disassemble the tranny.

It's a shame these tranny have this stupid design flaw. They are good units otherwise. Good luck.

my '04 at 52k didn't have a flare but a noise for 2 weeks on the 2-3 shifts, all others where fine. Then something broke in a big way, no 3rd gear etc O/D light, check trans light. With the rebuild kit they redo the bores with sleeves, it has to be torn down might as well have it all done.
After my rebuild the transmission has been awesome- firm shifts, runs better than out of the factory.

my '04 at 52k didn't have a flare but a noise for 2 weeks on the 2-3 shifts, all others where fine. Then something broke in a big way, no 3rd gear etc O/D light, check trans light. With the rebuild kit they redo the bores with sleeves, it has to be torn down might as well have it all done.
After my rebuild the transmission has been awesome- firm shifts, runs better than out of the factory.

Thats good to know that its better than before. Looks like I have a $2300 bill coming my way soon.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Servo bore wear can indeed cause the 2-3 shift flare and it does require major disassemble of the transmission - a transmission removal and partial disassembly to get to the part and to get out the metal shavings of drilling out the bore. This puts it beyond the ability of most backyard mechanics, certainly I wouldn't take this one on. However, if one has a well equipped garage and is up for some major work (removal of engine or transmission counts as major to me) it is certainly doable.

But I thought there are two other possible causes of the 2-3 shift flare in the 5R55W transmission that are much easier and cheaper to address in DIY mode: the solenoid body and the transmission band tension? Both of these procedures are in the sticky threads of the transmission forum.

Rumple

I was advised that it is the servo bore wearing out (as they do around 67k miles) and would require a rebuild with the updated parts for 2300.

But I thought there are two other possible causes of the 2-3 shift flare in the 5R55W transmission that are much easier and cheaper to address in DIY mode: the solenoid body and the transmission band tension? Both of these procedures are in the sticky threads of the transmission forum.

Rumple

I looked at the transmission forum a while back and saw the sticky for the 5R55e that talked about rebuilding the VB and replacing the EPC solenoid. Is the 5R55W similar enough that I should loook into that as a fix first?

Additionally, and I should have mentioned this, my transmission guy said he adjusted the band as a temp. fix for the problem but he warned me that it would possibly lower the frequency that the flare occured. It seemed to work for about a week and now it is flaring as much as it ever has.

In the end, is there a way to rule out either the DIY methods or the full rebuild? I can always start with the DIY things and hope I it works but thought I would ask before I start.

Thanks for all the help eveyone

Back