2004 Explorer - Fuel Pump Differences during 2004?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer - Fuel Pump Differences during 2004??

OntarioXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Barrie
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi All
I've just recently bought a Ford Explorer and have had a tough run of it for the first two months.
Transmission transfer case disintegrated on day 3 of ownership - luckily covered by warranty though.
Just this week the truck died on me, and the diagnosis was exposed/corroded wiring and fuel pump failure.
I was quoted $260 for the pump, and a week and a half later when i got her back, and the bill, the pump jumped in price to $580.
Aside from the 6.5 hours labour to replace the fuel pump and rewire, the back story left me a bit stumped on why the pump over-doubled in price.

Apparently, the $260 one was a completely wrong fit. I was told that Ford changed their production during 2004 and that it turned out I needed the other pump, and that it could only be obtained from Ford as OEM and thats why the jump in price.

Does anyone know if this story could have solid foundations? I'm left stumped as to knowing where to start to find out - so I thought I'd check with the experts. I can't even check quickly due to it being hidden from view.

Welcome any opinion - all the "wiring" fees is such a grey item to have to weed through I thought I'd see what facts there might be on the one part that can be specific.

Invoice:
6.5 hours to empty tank, remove tank, replace fuel pump and wiring.
2.5 hours rewiring in the back corner around arches due to interference in the electrics
$580 for different pump
$40 misc connectors
Grand total = $1480

I want to love my truck - but it's like a golddigging diva so far :rolleyes:

tascaparts.com lists 4 different pumps for the 2004 depending on build date and engine size. Retail prices are from $329 to $467.

discounted prices are from $217 to $308

Hi All
I've just recently bought a Ford Explorer and have had a tough run of it for the first two months.
Transmission transfer case disintegrated on day 3 of ownership - luckily covered by warranty though.
Just this week the truck died on me, and the diagnosis was exposed/corroded wiring and fuel pump failure.
I was quoted $260 for the pump, and a week and a half later when i got her back, and the bill, the pump jumped in price to $580.
Aside from the 6.5 hours labour to replace the fuel pump and rewire, the back story left me a bit stumped on why the pump over-doubled in price.

Apparently, the $260 one was a completely wrong fit. I was told that Ford changed their production during 2004 and that it turned out I needed the other pump, and that it could only be obtained from Ford as OEM and thats why the jump in price.

Does anyone know if this story could have solid foundations? I'm left stumped as to knowing where to start to find out - so I thought I'd check with the experts. I can't even check quickly due to it being hidden from view.

Welcome any opinion - all the "wiring" fees is such a grey item to have to weed through I thought I'd see what facts there might be on the one part that can be specific.

Invoice:
6.5 hours to empty tank, remove tank, replace fuel pump and wiring.
2.5 hours rewiring in the back corner around arches due to interference in the electrics
$580 for different pump
$40 misc connectors
Grand total = $1480

I want to love my truck - but it's like a golddigging diva so far :rolleyes:
When you get the new fuel pump, the wiring harness won't match. I figured out you can cut the wire harness but keep the 4 wires coming out of the fuel pump. 2 wires for the sender and 2 for the fuel pump. Cut the original wire connect to expose those 4 wires and match them up with the 4 wires of the new fuel pump. THAT SIMPLE. Also instead of dropping the tank, pull up the carpet and find a rubber access hole and get a camera probe to locate the fuel pump. Then cut the hole with electric shears which is cleaner and safer. I cut a 9 x 9 square just above the fuel pump and it gives you full access to all of the connectors. Then go to Amazon and buy a 12 x 12 inch plate 1/8" thick, place caulk or window seal in between the plate and floor to seal. This gives you full easy access without dropping the tank, no gas spills, and can be done quickly.
Also you can get a fuel pump from Amazon for $90.00 next day shipment

Back