2004 Explorer Limited 4.6L top transmission bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Limited 4.6L top transmission bolts

Reaction score
City, State
Titusville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
I'm trying to get the top 2 transmission bolts out. I've seem some people remove the transmission support but there's a bolt to close too the exhaust pipe and another bolt for a heat shield too close to the exhaust pipe. I've see other post saying there is an access panel under the center console. Is this true? It would be nice since the upper left bolt holds a wire harness and can't get a socket on it from below

I pulled out the center console and there is an access panel but it's too far back and can't get to the 2 upper bolts. I'm now looking at disconnecting the shift cable to get to the left upper bolt. I don't know about the right upper bolt since I can't see it. There has to be an easier way to get these 2 bolts out.

I had someone come to help me and his plan was simple. Take the intake manifold off. Once it was off you can see the transmission bolts.

20210719_163735.jpg

20210719_170712.jpg

This whole thing would have been easier if I disconnected the transmission like I did anyway and pulled the engine and transmission forward a few inches then you can get to all the bolts

20210730_175741.jpg

Back