2004 Explorer questions....

johng_22

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello,
This is my first post here. I just purchases a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer edit. 4.6L V-8. It has the optional towing package and 3.73 gearing.

Does anyone know if this vehicle came with an oil or transmission cooler stock? I've seen some posts here referencing problems with trannys due to overheating. I don't plan on towing anything, at least not on a regular basis. I'd just wanting to know what I can do while the vehicle is still new to extend the life of it as much as possible.

I was thinking of changing the tranny fluid and engine oil out to Amsoil Synthetic. Anyone have any good/bad comments with using Amsoil in the transmission???

Any other pointers from those of you that are experienced with this vehicle of considerations that I may want to do to it? I'm not looking to do any performance upgrades, just looking at things that will extend the life of this thing.

Thanks in advance!

John,
If you have it, it will be in between the grill and the front of the radiator, on the pass side. Looks like a small radiator. Im still learnin' about explorers too, and seems that generally speaking, the synth. tranny, oil, and diff. fluids DO help with longevity. 'Aldive' has been around awhile, and uses amsoil with great MPG results. Check out "My quest for 30" thread.
Happy wheelin'

Back