2004 Explorer squeeling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer squeeling

chrismo

Reaction score
Please help. I have a very loud squeeling on the front of my engine whenever the motor is running. I was told it was the belt tensioner and/or belt. I replaced both and the squeeling is still there it is constant. Any suggestions on what I should try next?
Thanks

Please help. I have a very loud squeeling on the front of my engine whenever the motor is running. I was told it was the belt tensioner and/or belt. I replaced both and the squeeling is still there it is constant. Any suggestions on what I should try next?
Thanks
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Check the new belt ribs for any wear or cracks in case some other pulley isn't cutting into it, possibly the harmonic balancer pulley. Other pulleys can squeal as well and the water pump bearings could be going and they also squeal when bad. Usually when the water pumps bearings go, you'll leak coolant out of the water pump weep hole. Check for coolant leaking down on the front of the engine right after you shut off the engine around the area of the harmonic balancer. The coolant shows up best (visible) after night fall/dark using a flashlight and coolant getting on the new belt would cause it to squeal. Wet belts squeal. Not saying you have these issues, but a place to start checking.

My money is on the water pump bearings. That means a new water pump for you if that is the case. A carefully placed stethoscope helps pinpoint bearing problems rather quickly. A large screwdriver on the bearing with the other end to the ear is a poor man's stethoscope. When you find the problem come back and tell us what the solution was.

Back