2004 Ford Explorer - next choice ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer - next choice ?

My 2004 Explorer with V6 continues to tow my boat / tandem axle rig approx. 4,000 lbs total fine, no issues.

I now always tow with overdrive ON as recommended, and cruise easily at 50 -60 mph approx. 120 miles round trip.

Now at 120,000 miles, when and if I get another, what's the " BEST YEARS "
of the Explorer .........after 2004, but still the same full size chassis.

My 04' has had some minor electrical issues and I've read this was common in 04.

Thanks - 1st time poster.

35 looks and no one can write about the Explorers after 2004 ?

If you need to stick to the full-frame Explorer/Mountaineer, then 2010 is the last model year. 2006 and later is the 4th generation (versus your 3rd gen). 4th gen will have the updated/stiffer frame. V6 powertrain is the same as your 3rd gen. But the V8 powertrain is much stronger than in the 4th gen, and includes a 6-speed trans. It's 2015 model year now, so 2010 is already 5 years old. You might as well get the newest one you can find.

By the way, do you have the HD towing package on your '04 (2" receiver), or the base package (1.25" receiver)? With 4000 lbs of boat/trailer, I'm hoping you have the HD package. If you get a new truck, be sure you get the HD towing package, too.

PS - I highly recommend the V8! Gas mileage with the new 6-speed is about the same as the V6, but it's a smooth mill, and you will love how it pulls a load.

Back