2004 Rear hatch hinge broke, help asap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Rear hatch hinge broke, help asap

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Jefferson, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie, 93 xlt, 04 xlt
Hey all,
My 2004 XLT rear hatch hinges have been "sagging" for quite a while. Now it seems it is finished. Here is a picture of the stressed hinge:
hinge.jpg

I called my dealer and they listed the two replacement hinges as follows:
Right Hand: 3l2z-78420a68-ac
Left Hand: 3l2z-78420a69-ac
Can anyone tell me if these parts will actually fix my problem. To me it seems that the outter plastic housing of the hinge has fractured. will a new hinge include the external houseing and a pin. Any body ever replaced these? Help please I am going hunting this weekend and use this hatch to get my gear!!!! I can't open the rear door with my trailer attached.
Thanks,
Michael

Yes it will fix it but be very careful when tightening hinges on glass.

Yep. I had the same problem. Replaced them myself-pretty easy to do. swetrid is dead-on, be careful not to overtighten them!

New hinges on!!!

I had my local community college body shop replace my hinges today, cost me $5 for a donation for a scholarship. The new parts from Ford a way better than OEM, they only have one entry for the pin, not two. They are also a metal, not plastic. Everyone should take advantages of their local community colleges, the students learn and it is so cheap, they are insured if the mess something up too!!! Thanks to Western Iowa Tech Community College!!!! (I work there also in the IT Dept)
Michael

hinge2.jpg

hinge3.jpg

Back