2004 Rear Window Hinges | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Rear Window Hinges

chrisnin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice. I have a '04 XLT and noticed that the rear window hinges, more specifically the Torx bolts holding them on, are REALLY rusted out. The truck is immaculate and has been babied, but I see on the internet that this is a fairly common problem, and for some reason, 2004 Explorers were exempted from the recall. My question is... does it make sense to replace these hinges/bolts immediately and if so, how difficult is it to do it yourself? I'm guessing the dealership charges a fair amount...

Thanks for any suggestions!

mine are rusted out too. I think the left one is worst.

I would like to know about replacing them perhaps.

if its just rust you are worried about just break out the dremel or emery paper and remove the rust.

Paint it up with some plasti dip liquid rubber. black.

to remove those bolts its a 2 - 3 person job.

undo your gas struts then just undo the bolts you'll need 2 guys to hold the glass.

the 2002-2003 recall kit will work just fine on our 2004-2005 explorers I wouldn't get it unless you hinges are broken or not square (will break)

Ok... thanks for the info. I'll wait until I have some assistance, but I definitely am going to change these out. I figure that they will break off at the worst possible moment and they look completely rusted out. My guess is they snap off when I put the Torx to it. I like the idea about dipping the new bolt though!

Back