2004 slipping/studdering in reverse. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 slipping/studdering in reverse.

conig

Reaction score
City, State
tallahassee fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 v8 xlt.
.This just started today with no real warning. I was pulling out of my driveway and my reverse gear started slipping/studdering, bad. It doe it coasting backwards in neutral. I havnt noticed any unusual clunking before this. All the other gears seem to work fine.#What am I in for, its the no dip stick transmission so a fluid change is out????

Its a 2004 4.0 2wd with under 90000 miles the od light has never flashed once. I can hear a dragging or grinding noise.

why is "a fluid change out"....?????

that would be the first thing to do.

I don't get it.....

Thats a question....is it out? But I also dont want to waste money on fluid if its something bigger. There is an actual clunking noise. It acts almost like a pinion gear with missing teath.

After some more searching I have 1st gear so maybe the band is ok.

.This just started today with no real warning. I was pulling out of my driveway and my reverse gear started slipping/studdering, bad. It doe it coasting backwards in neutral. I havnt noticed any unusual clunking before this. All the other gears seem to work fine.#What am I in for, its the no dip stick transmission so a fluid change is out????

Its a 2004 4.0 2wd with under 90000 miles the od light has never flashed once. I can hear a dragging or grinding noise.

It could be the transmission, you are describing what might be a failed planetary gear.

The next step would be to have it on a lift and check for the noise from underneath, and if sounds like it is from the transmission I would drop the pan to inspect for debris.

Back