• Register Today It's free!

Slips in reverse

Gln

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
My trans slips when in reverse going up a hill or in any situation that puts a load on the vehical... like in mud.

Going forward up steep hills no problem. There are no unusual noises.

I had the trans rebuilt. The shop assures me it is not the trans. They say it is in the transfer case but don't know what exactly is the problem.

I am doing volunteer work in Central America. They are only mediocre at auto trans repairs and my Spanish is only mediocre.

I would really appreciate some specific guidance that I can give to the mechanic who rebuilt the trans. If I knew the problem, I'd get the parts and he could install them.

If I understand the mechanic correctly, he tells me that in the transfer case is an electric or magnetic thing that engages reverse. He says as best he can tell, it is working but for some reason not with enough force... thus the slipping. He thinks maybe there is a sensor problem but doesn't know.

Thanks!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what engine do you have v6 or v8?

Check your tranny fluid to see if the level is good and/or there is no burnt smell.

I thought the "reverse transfer case issues" were limited to the AWD models which your 1999 (gen2) would be the 4wd auto model not AWD. But I could be wrong on that. Did you check the fluid in your TC to see what it looks like and if there is enough in there?

The fluid is new and at a good level. On my dash, the choice is "Auto - 4Hi - 4Lo". Not having a 2WD selection, does that mean it is AWD?

The fluid is new and at a good level. On my dash, the choice is "Auto - 4Hi - 4Lo". Not having a 2WD selection, does that mean it is AWD?

no you have the true 4wd version, the only gen2's that had AWD were the v8 models.

Auto mode just engages the TC if the computer senses that the rear wheels slip through the use of the speed sensors in the front wheels and axle.

(I have the same system in my truck)

Back