2005 Explorer - TOAST - Needs engine...Need advice. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer - TOAST - Needs engine...Need advice.

djmag11269

Reaction score
City, State
State College, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Hello, We just found out our 2005 explorer needs a new engine at the tune of 5,000. our explorer is otherwise in MINT condition, infact it acted up but never 'wouldn't run" through all this. We OWN it 100 % no payments etc. I did a kelly blue book search and in GOOD condition its work about 8900.00.

It does have 75,000 miles on it. WE just don't know what to do?? have it repaired, for 5,000 or take advantage of a Ford deal right now on NEW vehicles.

Now, the problem is, I don't want to put alot of $$ into a car that has 75,000 miles on it and growing (I commute 50 miles one way M-F) we are just trying to weigh options, decide whats best etc....looking for tips/help/suggestions..

THE key is we have to put out 5,000 regardless either fix it or get rid of with one of the new incentives.....We just don't know what is best

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like there are a lot of them around you listed on www.car-part.com for about $1,000 with 20-30k on them. Might be a better less expensive solution.

Heck- there's one with 8k for $1,400 listed. You can find an independent shop that will swap engines for alot less than $3,500-$4,000 in labor.

If you buy new, you go through the massive depreciation again. I would fix the one I had if it were me... All of your "incentives" will be doing nothing but making up the depreciation in buying a new vehicle...

5K is a steep number. I agree with the car-part route. Used engine plus independant shop labor = prolly less than half the price ur guessing.

you should definatly go the used engine route. If you didnt want to spend the cash I dont see whay you couldnt use the cash for clunkers offer and get a new fusion or focus, that would be great for the gas on your communte too.

Hello, We just found out our 2005 explorer needs a new engine at the tune of 5,000. our explorer is otherwise in MINT condition, infact it acted up but never 'wouldn't run" through all this. We OWN it 100 % no payments etc. I did a kelly blue book search and in GOOD condition its work about 8900.00.

It does have 75,000 miles on it. WE just don't know what to do?? have it repaired, for 5,000 or take advantage of a Ford deal right now on NEW vehicles.

Now, the problem is, I don't want to put alot of $$ into a car that has 75,000 miles on it and growing (I commute 50 miles one way M-F) we are just trying to weigh options, decide whats best etc....looking for tips/help/suggestions..

THE key is we have to put out 5,000 regardless either fix it or get rid of with one of the new incentives.....We just don't know what is best

I (and I'll bet others here) would really like to know what happened to your engine. And which engine is it, the V6 or V8?

75K isn't too bad for mileage on an 05 Explorer if it's had decent maintenance. How is the tranny doing and how about the rear end? Those can both be expensive problems with the Gen 3s. If the tranny and rear end have been behaving then I think getting a low milage used engine is the way to go. Otherwise I would probably be thinking about dumping it.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome aboard.

I dont see whay you couldnt use the cash for clunkers offer QUOTE]

i dont think a 2005 will apply to the cash for clunkers...and i think it has to run

we could make a better guess if we knew what was wrong with the old one?
for it to really be toast is there a piston sticking out the side of the short block?

Who quoted 5k?
Another option depending on the first question is to rebuild what you have . . .
Junkyard option
New Crate Motor

you should definatly go the used engine route. If you didnt want to spend the cash I dont see whay you couldnt use the cash for clunkers offer and get a new fusion or focus, that would be great for the gas on your communte too.

Cash for clunkers does not apply to 2005 Explorer's, nor does it apply to non-running vehicles :p:

when my engine in mine hit 104k(v8) i started getting really bad rod knock that just kept getting worse. i bought a used engine with 29k on it for $1300 and swapped it myself. all was good for about a week until i started getting the same thing except 100x worse.the engine was still under warranty so i took it back for a full refund. so i got yet another engine with around 42k on it and it has been running pretty good for about 4-5 months. id get a used engine but make sure it comes with a warranty just in case. and if you are somewhat mechanically inclined you could probably handle the swap but if your not comfortable doing it try to get it done the cheapest possible.

Here's what you need to do.

You need to figuare out what your truck is worth WITH a fried engine.
(however you wanna go about that route.)

If you want to trade or take advantage of that deal or whatever, this might be the time to do it.

Then you need to figuare out if the $5000 is worth the effort.

Basically, determine which route saves you more money.

If you're more concerned with Reliability,etc.....find out if a Motor-Swap will include a warranty.

Odds are you wont have problems with a swapped motor.
But this is your choice, and possibly a gamble.

But trading for another used car is ALSO another gamble.....hell even a new car is a gamble sometimes.....hopefully your state has "lemon law" when buying new cars.

To me, $5000 is a hell of alot cheaper than buying a new car or used car.
Just see if you can get a warranty or something extra.

$5000 does seem like alot......but if it's getting done at a ford dealership, that's probably the going price at the moment.
(i remember ford quoted me like $3 or 4000 for an engine swap in my 94 mustang(3.8Lv6 engine)

i bought and installed my v8 4.6L for less than 1500 man..granted it took two weeks but i got it done. if you buy one id be happy to give you some info and direction on the swap yourself.

I have never heard of a Explorer engine going out at 75K. The tranny maybe but the not the engine. Are you sure it is dead? I would get a second opinion.

What engine do you need v8 or v6 one? If its a V6 one I can probably get you one that was from a wreck for cheap.

Reminds me of a friend who had a car at the dealer, car made a funny noise and wouldn't run anymore. Dealer said, new engine for about 3 grand.

The guy had the car towed to a mechanic who knew the type of car really well. Turned out the crank shaft pully had walked on the crank about a 1/4 of a turn. With some new parts, and some labor totalling about 300 bucks the car was running like new.

An engine failure at 75K is very rare for any modern vehicle sold in the states, I'd get another opinion, and no way I'd spend 60% of the value of the vehicle on a single repair. The good news is both the 4.0 liter and the 4.6 liter used in the explorer are VERY common engines. You should be able to purchase a low mileage engine for ~800 bucks, and have it installed for another ~500-800 at any reputable shop.

I would have laughed so hard in the face of anyone who had the nuts and bolts to suggest an engine replacement should cost 5 grand. What do they think you drive, a ferrari?????

Where is this truck?

I would be interested in purchasing this truck in cash with the bad engine if you need to get out from under it and it is in good condition like you say. I have been looking for a truck like this and already own one and love it. If you want to sell it and youre within range of me(zip 61312) email me and id like to make you an offer if you have it still. I have cash in hand so it is a serious offer when i say contact me. chriskramerjr81@yahoo.com

you know this is a very old post. . . .OP posted 7/29/09 and never returned. . .

I would be interested in purchasing this truck in cash with the bad engine if you need to get out from under it and it is in good condition like you say. I have been looking for a truck like this and already own one and love it. If you want to sell it and youre within range of me(zip 61312) email me and id like to make you an offer if you have it still. I have cash in hand so it is a serious offer when i say contact me. chriskramerjr81@yahoo.com

I doubt this vehicle is still available as the thread is a year old and the OP didn't respond to any of the posts.

EDIT: jrford beat me to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back