• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slip 2005 Explorer

jtab4994

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hi folks, our son is driving our 2005 Explorer at college and he reports that a couple of times he's stopped at a light, then when it turned green he stepped on the gas and the engine revved but vehicle didn't move. Stepped on the brake, then back to the gas and it was OK.

Does that sound like it just needs some transmission fluid? I mean, to start with at least. Anything special I should know about the 2005 Explorer transmission fluid? The vehicle has about 135-140k miles and I don't remember every adding any transmission fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi folks, our son is driving our 2005 Explorer at college and he reports that a couple of times he's stopped at a light, then when it turned green he stepped on the gas and the engine revved but vehicle didn't move. Stepped on the brake, then back to the gas and it was OK.

Does that sound like it just needs some transmission fluid? I mean, to start with at least. Anything special I should know about the 2005 Explorer transmission fluid? The vehicle has about 135-140k miles and I don't remember every adding any transmission fluid.
@jtab4994
The '05 transmission if type 5R55S has no dipstick to check the fluid level, nor any easy way to add fluid. The level, if low can be checked from underneath the vehicle by removing a tiny plug in the bottom of the oil pan. The plug opens a standpipe in the pan whose top surface represents "full". Thus if low, no fluid will come out when the plug is removed. Early models of this transmission had a threaded plug above the oil pan on the right rear bottom of the transmission case. That plug was intended to allow filling. If the plug is not present, fluid must be pumped uphill into the oil pan's standpipe. imp

Has the filter ever been changed?
We've never had the transmission serviced, but I'll make sure they change the filter when we have the fluid checked/changed.

@jtab4994
The '05 transmission if type 5R55S has no dipstick to check the fluid level, nor any easy way to add fluid. The level, if low can be checked from underneath the vehicle by removing a tiny plug in the bottom of the oil pan. The plug opens a standpipe in the pan whose top surface represents "full". Thus if low, no fluid will come out when the plug is removed. Early models of this transmission had a threaded plug above the oil pan on the right rear bottom of the transmission case. That plug was intended to allow filling. If the plug is not present, fluid must be pumped uphill into the oil pan's standpipe. imp

Thanks, I checked out a how-to video on YouTube and I think I'll have a local garage change the fluid & filter. Then proceed from there if the problem keeps happening.

This is early sign of trans failure. These X trans are trash.

The shop I went to does two a day 6 days a week

I kept pushing mine and it was so fried inside the core was trash not rebuildable

And i never towed or drove hard

Disgusting fix or repair daily as my next post will show

Update: The transmission was fine for a while after getting the fluid changed in April but then gradually got worse. Yesterday (Sunday) dropped it off at a local repair shop. Today they called to say we were 5.5 quarts low on trans fluid (full is 13 quarts) and they found a leak in the "external trans cooler" which I had never heard of. So $673.00 instead of a couple grand on a rebuilt tranny. Funny that the shop (different one) that changed the fluid in April did not notice the leak.

Update: The transmission was fine for a while after getting the fluid changed in April but then gradually got worse. Yesterday (Sunday) dropped it off at a local repair shop. Today they called to say we were 5.5 quarts low on trans fluid (full is 13 quarts) and they found a leak in the "external trans cooler" which I had never heard of. So $673.00 instead of a couple grand on a rebuilt tranny. Funny that the shop (different one) that changed the fluid in April did not notice the leak.
@jtab4994

Or, they created the leak intentionally? How could that much fluid be lost externally without you seeing it yourself?
imp

@jtab4994

Or, they created the leak intentionally? How could that much fluid be lost externally without you seeing it yourself?
imp

People don't notice a lot of things sadly.. A family members car had a massive oil leak that left a puddle after a couple minutes of running. They had no clue. Dip stick was dry.

@jtab4994

imp

My son drives it at college and said he did not see any leaks. He had an extra class which is why he just brought the vehicle home last weekend. The shop that originally changed the fluid back in April is a place we've been going to for over 20 years and I'll buy that they created the leak accidentally but not on purpose.

Is it rare for an External Trans Cooler to go bad on an 05 Explorer?

My son drives it at college and said he did not see any leaks. He had an extra class which is why he just brought the vehicle home last weekend. The shop that originally changed the fluid back in April is a place we've been going to for over 20 years and I'll buy that they created the leak accidentally but not on purpose.

Is it rare for an External Trans Cooler to go bad on an 05 Explorer?
@jtab4994
I can't say from experience, but think that given the low pressure involved in pumping the fluid to the cooler and back, leaks should be rare. The coolers themselves are metallic, of necessity, with rubber hose connections (usually, nowadays) all-steel lines in times past. I think my '04 is a combination of steel & rubber hose. Yes, it's possible the shop left a hose clamp untightened, unintentionally, but good practice by any proficient Mechanic dictates checking adequately for leaks before releasing the vehicle to the customer. imp

I've been learning that there's a fair amount of "unconventional" design with my ought-five XLT, at least compared to my last 50-some years of previous vehicles. One friend was razzin' me "make sure you check the tranny-fluid level"... Ha-Ha-Ha...Well, at least that's how I found my way to this forum.

You have GOT TO BE SCHLITZING ME!! No ATF dip-stick?! Everything I've taught in the past has focused on awareness of your vehicle's vital signs (up to CDL coaching). Understanding the balance, if your ATF is low, is it on the ground? Nope. Does the ATF on your dip-stick look like strawberry milk-shake (or does it smell like a wet BBQ grill)? Nope. Open the radiator-cap (after cool-down), and I'll betcha the water has turned to weird salad-dressing. Yep...

Unless they have a new "innovation", trans-cooling usually has a first-pass thru the radiator bottom tank, with heavy-duty apps backed up with a grill-mount second stage. Radiator systems operate 10-15 PSI above ambient. If you've lost over a mystery gallon of ATF, my first thought is empty the coolant into a CLEAN "Homer" bucket, and see what floats to the surface. If you find the lost lubricant, pull the radiator for service. If you don't find signs of contamination, you can return the coolant, (and maybe call a priest)...

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, is the truth"...
S. Holmes

I've been learning that there's a fair amount of "unconventional" design with my ought-five XLT, at least compared to my last 50-some years of previous vehicles. One friend was razzin' me "make sure you check the tranny-fluid level"... Ha-Ha-Ha...Well, at least that's how I found my way to this forum.

You have GOT TO BE SCHLITZING ME!! No ATF dip-stick?! Everything I've taught in the past has focused on awareness of your vehicle's vital signs (up to CDL coaching). Understanding the balance, if your ATF is low, is it on the ground? Nope. Does the ATF on your dip-stick look like strawberry milk-shake (or does it smell like a wet BBQ grill)? Nope. Open the radiator-cap (after cool-down), and I'll betcha the water has turned to weird salad-dressing. Yep...

Unless they have a new "innovation", trans-cooling usually has a first-pass thru the radiator bottom tank, with heavy-duty apps backed up with a grill-mount second stage. Radiator systems operate 10-15 PSI above ambient. If you've lost over a mystery gallon of ATF, my first thought is empty the coolant into a CLEAN "Homer" bucket, and see what floats to the surface. If you find the lost lubricant, pull the radiator for service. If you don't find signs of contamination, you can return the coolant, (and maybe call a priest)...

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, is the truth"...
S. Holmes
@ibstang
When I bought my 2004 and found no transmission dipstick, I was appalled! Then I learned to refill I had to "pump" the fluid uphill into the trans, worse thought yet. Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid failed, I replaced the block of solenoids, looked at the pan, and thought, why not? I did this:

5r55s_10.jpg

5r55s_11.jpg

Filled it up, correct level dripped out check hole, marked my dipstick, and know what? I've checked the level maybe twice in 7 years! Still worse, I learned along the way of the fill-hole provided originally on the 5R55S:

img52410.jpg

THEN, someone informed the forum that the fill hole had been eliminated from production in about 2005 or so! One less hole to drill and thread, saved 5 cents! imp

@donalds Re:
Ratings for post #3
clear.png
Disagree x 1

If you don't agree, it would be helpful to me to know where I've gone wrong......
if you don't mind. imp:chug:

@donalds Re:
Ratings for post #3
clear.png
Disagree x 1

If you don't agree, it would be helpful to me to know where I've gone wrong......
if you don't mind. imp:chug:
Thanks for noticing and telling me
When I am scrolling up the page on this kindle I sometimes hit a ratings button this one got past me sorry bout that:rolleyes:

Thanks for noticing and telling me
When I am scrolling up the page on this kindle I sometimes hit a ratings button this one got past me sorry bout that:rolleyes:
@donalds
Don't be. We seem to usually be in agreement technically-speaking, so why not agree to disagree too? Ha! imp

Back