2005 Explorer Transmission Not Shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Transmission Not Shifting

Feo1

Reaction score
City, State
X,XX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all,

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 with approximately 140 k miles on it. The transmission was completely rebuilt around 80 k in 2014. So somewhere around 60 k and 8 years on it currently, but about 7 years when the problem below first developed.

About a year ago I was taking a trip that took me from sea level to a couple of thousand feet up over two hours. The first part of the drive was pretty gradual but still a constant slight uphill, all at freeway speed (total elevation maybe 1000 ft). No need to drop gears or anything, just smooth driving. About 40 minutes into this I get a CEL and the O/D light comes on. No immediately noticeable change in performance, but I was still on the freeway. I then had to exit and was on surface streets for a bit. From that point it was obvious that it was not shifting right. The engine would over rev because it wasn't shifting at the right time, and when it did it was a hard shift with a notable jolt/bang as it finally hit the right gear. We tried getting a little further and hit an actual uphill when we were back on the freeway, which did require a downshift. However, the car stalled instead. We were able to get going and turn around and make it home about an hour without further issue.

I pulled the following codes:

P1744 – Torque converter clutch system performance or mechanically stuck off
P0745 – EPC circuit fault
P0734 – Transmission Gear #4 incorrect ratio
P0733 – Transmission Gear #3 incorrect ratio
P0731 – Transmission Gear #1 incorrect ratio

I've also had to drive it a few more times (have since replaced it as my daily driver, but there are emergencies), and there are a few other things I've noticed that are just weird.
  1. The biggest is that there really isn't an issue shifting in the first 5 minutes or so after the car is turned on. If you can make it up to your constant speed by then, you're good until you hit stop and go, have to slow to turn, etc.
  2. The problem can be usually be reset by shutting down and then turning it back on about 10-30 seconds latter, again buying about 5 minutes to get up to speed. I have be able to do this after the car has been driving for 20 minutes, so it doesn't seem to be only when everything is cold.
  3. It tends to get "stuck" in second (I believe) when I'm going around 20 mph.
  4. If it does get stuck but eventually shifts, it's usually when letting your foot off the gas and RPMs drop.
  5. I have not had another stall, but haven't tried taking it up anything more than a 25 foot hill. I've also not run it more than 30 minutes.

I did take the car in to a transmission shop a few months later. They looked at it very quickly (they had it less than 30 minutes) and said they weren't sure what it was and that their best guess is the last shop did something wrong or didn't take all the steps they could/should have and there was additional wear in the case, but they couldn't verify that without pulling the transmission out and given the value of the car vs. the cost of parts/labor, it wasn't economical. My thought has been it's something with the solenoid pack, but reading some of the other posts here there may be an issue with the solenoid bore holes.

As I mentioned, I've replaced this as my daily. However, it would be nice to have a backup vehicle (my F-150 was hit and was in the shop for nearly 2 months, my SO's Escape needed the transmission rebuilt because Ford is consistent quality, etc.), or maybe get fixed up enough to sell (to pay for the Escape's transmission).

Has anyone ever heard of a similar experience or have any suggestions I might try?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 with approximately 140 k miles on it. The transmission was completely rebuilt around 80 k in 2014. So somewhere around 60 k and 8 years on it currently, but about 7 years when the problem below first developed.

About a year ago I was taking a trip that took me from sea level to a couple of thousand feet up over two hours. The first part of the drive was pretty gradual but still a constant slight uphill, all at freeway speed (total elevation maybe 1000 ft). No need to drop gears or anything, just smooth driving. About 40 minutes into this I get a CEL and the O/D light comes on. No immediately noticeable change in performance, but I was still on the freeway. I then had to exit and was on surface streets for a bit. From that point it was obvious that it was not shifting right. The engine would over rev because it wasn't shifting at the right time, and when it did it was a hard shift with a notable jolt/bang as it finally hit the right gear. We tried getting a little further and hit an actual uphill when we were back on the freeway, which did require a downshift. However, the car stalled instead. We were able to get going and turn around and make it home about an hour without further issue.

I pulled the following codes:

P1744 – Torque converter clutch system performance or mechanically stuck off
P0745 – EPC circuit fault
P0734 – Transmission Gear #4 incorrect ratio
P0733 – Transmission Gear #3 incorrect ratio
P0731 – Transmission Gear #1 incorrect ratio

I've also had to drive it a few more times (have since replaced it as my daily driver, but there are emergencies), and there are a few other things I've noticed that are just weird.
  1. The biggest is that there really isn't an issue shifting in the first 5 minutes or so after the car is turned on. If you can make it up to your constant speed by then, you're good until you hit stop and go, have to slow to turn, etc.
  2. The problem can be usually be reset by shutting down and then turning it back on about 10-30 seconds latter, again buying about 5 minutes to get up to speed. I have be able to do this after the car has been driving for 20 minutes, so it doesn't seem to be only when everything is cold.
  3. It tends to get "stuck" in second (I believe) when I'm going around 20 mph.
  4. If it does get stuck but eventually shifts, it's usually when letting your foot off the gas and RPMs drop.
  5. I have not had another stall, but haven't tried taking it up anything more than a 25 foot hill. I've also not run it more than 30 minutes.

I did take the car in to a transmission shop a few months later. They looked at it very quickly (they had it less than 30 minutes) and said they weren't sure what it was and that their best guess is the last shop did something wrong or didn't take all the steps they could/should have and there was additional wear in the case, but they couldn't verify that without pulling the transmission out and given the value of the car vs. the cost of parts/labor, it wasn't economical. My thought has been it's something with the solenoid pack, but reading some of the other posts here there may be an issue with the solenoid bore holes.

As I mentioned, I've replaced this as my daily. However, it would be nice to have a backup vehicle (my F-150 was hit and was in the shop for nearly 2 months, my SO's Escape needed the transmission rebuilt because Ford is consistent quality, etc.), or maybe get fixed up enough to sell (to pay for the Escape's transmission).

Has anyone ever heard of a similar experience or have any suggestions I might try?

Thank you!
Check your transmission fluid level. If possible, get your fluid flushed and refilled and a new filter. If that doesn't help, here is some more info and things to check. The other codes are likely to stem from this. Your symptoms are typical for low transmission fluid level or something causing fluid not to flow properly or at the correct pressure.

Screenshot_20220930-165358_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220930-165643_Chrome.jpg

Check your transmission fluid level. If possible, get your fluid flushed and refilled and a new filter. If that doesn't help, here is some more info and things to check. The other codes are likely to stem from this. Your symptoms are typical for low transmission fluid level or something causing fluid not to flow properly or at the correct pressure.

View attachment 435079 View attachment 435080

Thank you! Simple enough to try and since there is no transmission dipstick I can't immediately verify that isn't the case. I'll give it a shot this week and see what happens.

Thank you! Simple enough to try and since there is no transmission dipstick I can't immediately verify that isn't the case. I'll give it a shot this week and see what happens.
Yes, there is a special fill/check adapter for it. They sell them at the auto parts store.

Also, the valve body and solenoid pack can be replaced easily without removing the transmission, if you determine it is not a fluid related issue. You can test the solenoids with a multimeter. I use the Transgo shift kit any time I suspect possible valve body issues. Of course, if the valve body has severe problems it will need to be replaced entirely. You wouldn't know until you've pulled it out and looked at it. Best of luck.

Just to follow up. Finally got this in to a shop and fixed. The overdrive was shot (the OD indicator light was coming on as well). Also had burnt fluid and a few other things. Solution was to basically rebuild the whole thing a second time... :(

Not really a surprise, these transmissions are not noted for being super durable. Mine had to be rebuilt right after we got it 10k miles ago. Hoping to get 30k more out of it. After that we won't need it anymore anyway.

Back