2005 Mountaineer No pedal and more problems! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Mountaineer No pedal and more problems! Help!

jhjr85

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
So I just got an 2005 Mountaineer V8 4.6L for my wife the other day, she needed something with 3rd row and we got a good deal on it... I think I see why..
Changed the power steering pump--that was a pain! Had some problems afterwards but realized when I put on a new drivebelt that I must of placed the old drivebelt over a bolt sticking out instead of under it.... problem solved (I hope)
Next issue is it seems to idle really low, like 500 at times. But sometimes its normal 800-1000.. and the gas pedal is super sensitive,, gotta push it like 2 inches slowly or she'll lay tire! so thinking I could do it all I text my buddy and ask what to do and he said to adjust the idle screw! Saw it, tried to turn it a crack it broke.. great! Didnt seem to effect anything actually still idled a little low and high.. when I pushed the little rod down it idled higher where it should be.. so I take the rod out and put it back down in.. still same thing.....should of stopped there. I read some places that said to disconnect a sensor and see what happens... So I disconnected them all MAF... one on the back of the throttle body??, and one on the front TPS? car stalled out a couple times but restarted and did it again and stalled as I disconnected.. I dont know which one I did but what I do know is I should of stopped then! Check engine light and engine failsafe mode are on... car starts but I have no throttle control at all!! wont rev up and wont drive cause it dont do more than idle..

Wife is pissed at me!! lol
Any ideas?

After more detailed looking Im thinking it might be the TPS? but what about the gas pedal not working at all now and it burning tire if you dont go slow and steady? Was that just a problem with the TPS and I made it worse?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Plus it will get me out of the doghouse! She wanted to drive the car the next day... ain't gonna happen!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect the battery for 30 minuters, see if that gets it back to where you started. If it gets you back to the original throttle issue, remove the breather hose so you can look inside the throttle body. Then have the wife sit inside with the key ON and engine OFF. Tell her to slowly press on the throttle and watch to see if it snaps open real fast. I am assuming that your 05 has throttle by wire, there is no cable going to the throttle body. So of the early throttle by wire throttle bodys had sticking issues that would cause what I just described. The throttle plate sticks then snaps open suddenly when the little electric servo produces enough power to get it unstuck. It could also be the pedal assembly inside. It has a potentiometer inside of it that reads the amount of pedal being pushed, sends a signal to the PCM, which in turn sends a signal to the throttle body servo to open the throttle.

If watching the throttle plate indicates that it is snapping open too quickly, try to move it by hand EASILY. You will be able to feel if it sticks. If it does stick, do NOT use any cleaner on it. It could potentially cause bigger problems. The best thing to do if it is sticking, is to replace it. If it does not feel like it is sticking, then I would try replacing the pedal assembly. Either of these can be purchased used from any local respectable salvage facility. If it is the throttle body, ask to look at it before they pull it to make sure you don't get another one that sticks.

The 4.6l has an know issue with too much blow by oil in the pcv system.
Collecting on the throttle body valve. Doesn't have to be much.
Over time, the ECM learns and adapts to it. Until the battery is disconnected.
Ford has a TSB on this starting at only 10k miles.

Easy fix though. Remove the throttle body from the car (4 bolts, have a replacement gasket in hand.)
Purchase some throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner.) spray it down from both sides until it is completely clean. If you scrub it, use a toothbrush or the like.

Put it back together and all done. I'll post a couple links from [MENTION=229411]makuloco2000[/MENTION] in a bit.

1. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPNnHU6PYbo

2. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396533

Simple fix, then come out of the dog house with your "I'm a man" tee shirt on.

I tried disconnecting the battery and left it unhooked for an hour, and turned the lights on and other accessories to drain it out quicker.. that didnt help.

Going to borrow a scan tool and pick up some cleaner on the way. Hopefully that helps. I looked at the throttle plate last night and it did look kind of dirty.. but no cleaner on hand. I took a video of what it did when I pressed the gas (wife was still mad I doubt she would of helped.) Dont think it was sticking too bad, but who knows.
Hopefully something helps!
Really don't feel lilke spending big $$$$ to fix, cause then I still be in the dog house after its fixed

Trust me, get the TB gasket and cleaner. Remove and clean the TB. It'll take you 1/2 hour start to finish. Most of the gunk is on the inside and it doesn't take much.

Others have ignored this $12 advice and paid the dealer $140 to do the exact procedure.

Throttle body search ...

Cleaned out the tb and all that jazz... Was a little dirty but looks good now. Reinstalled tb... Car won't even start! Stalls out before it even gets going...
Bought a new tps, hoping that will do the trick because I can find a throttle body from a junkyard within 200 miles!
Didn't think a popular car would be so hard to find parts for-- was told only 04-05 V8s explorers and mountaineers use the same tb

And of course just my luck, one of the old tps bolts snapped on me!

Well I put the new tps on.. And it starts up and stays running which is better than before.. but still don't have any pedal?
Any ideas? Can't find a used tb to save my life and new one is 350 from rock auto... But I need this car on the road yesterday... That always seems to be the problem
And the code reader I have isn't reading... Counts to 5 then says err--I assume means error??

Update

Just wanted to let you guys know that I did get the mountaineer running and driving! I changed the TB motor---$50 compared to 350 for a new TB
Started right up and no check engine light and not in engine failsafe mode!!
Runs and drives much better! Before I had to slowly give it gas if not it would take off like a rocket! Doesn't do that at all any more!
And wife is happy so life is good! :thumbsup:;)

Back